Any TI-99/4A Users want to get active on this site?

- Ω -

TI-99/4A Users Poll  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a TI-99/4A

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like to see more TI-99/4A activity on this site?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If there is more activity, will you participate?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, HDN said:

I'll have to try to emulate the 99/4A sometime. 

In my opinion, the best emulator is << CLASSIC 99 >> and it's free as well!  It comes with a good supply of starter software... and the ROM's as well.  All you need to do is click on the link, download the software and stick it all in it's own directory.  Easy peasy!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

15 hours ago, Justin said:

I'm all for this! Let me know what we can do to help. The more reason TI users have to visit our little site the better off we all are in the long run.

After giving this more thought, what would be nice would be if the TI-99/4A had it's own heading (not under Classic Computing).  I'm not sure you would be willing to do that though with so little traffic at first.  But IF you did that, It would also be cool to see two pinned threads at the top, "TI GOODIES" and "User's Systems".  For "GOODIES" I would spend the next few weeks (as time allows) populating the section with cool stuff.  I have a vision...

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

After giving this more thought, what would be nice would be if the TI-99/4A had it's own heading (not under Classic Computing).  I'm not sure you would be willing to do that though with so little traffic at first.

I fully intend to do that. The way we create new Sub Forums is to incubate them inside broader forums until there are enough topics to move over to a new Sub Forum. In this case TI-99/4A topics are posted under "Classic Computing" until there is enough to break them off into their own Sub Forum. 

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

But IF you did that, It would also be cool to see two pinned threads at the top, "TI GOODIES" and "User's Systems".  For "GOODIES" I would spend the next few weeks (as time allows) populating the section with cool stuff.  I have a vision...

I like that a lot! Let me work on this and you'll see a new Texas Instruments Sub Forum appear within the next few days.

44 minutes ago, Justin said:

I like that a lot! Let me work on this and you'll see a new Texas Instruments Sub Forum appear within the next few days.

Thank you!  If it's also possible, I'd like perpetual edit capability on the first message of the "TI GOODIES" thread so I'll be able to update the files listing with all the new stuff as it appears further on down the thread as time goes by.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 2/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, - Ω - said:

Thank you! 

Welp, here you go!

https://forums.atari.io/forum/129-texas-instruments/

On 2/17/2021 at 5:14 PM, - Ω - said:

If it's also possible, I'd like perpetual edit capability on the first message of the "TI GOODIES" thread so I'll be able to update the files listing with all the new stuff as it appears further on down the thread as time goes by.

Your wish has been granted, make it so! (Most all Atari I/O Posts have perpetual edit capability, with very few exceptions. It's rarely abused and makes for a better site.)

I'd like to give a special THANK YOU to @- Ω - for stepping up as Atari I/O's first TI-99/4A resident expert and offering to get the TI conversation started in the Forums. 

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Brought a new Member into the Forums!"

- Ω - was awarded the badge 'Recruiter' and 50 points.

8 hours ago, Justin said:

I'd like to give a special THANK YOU to @- Ω - for stepping up as Atari I/O's first TI-99/4A resident expert and offering to get the TI conversation started in the Forums. 

Thank you.  I'll not let it go to waste!  I have most of Tuesday & Wednesday off next week, so I'll "start construction" then.  It's going to be fun!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I have six TI-99/4A's.  A couple of them need repair.  Two of them are boxed (silver and beige).

My "go to" TI is a silver one with an F18A, right-angle VGA connector (this helps SO much) and speech synth.

I also have a NanoPEB, 32KiB RAM expansion, FinalROM99 and FinalGROM99.

Plus, I managed to get a free PEB years ago that I've decked out with a floppy, 1MiB RAM and RS-232.

I love the TI.  It was my first computer.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I have a TI but I rarely use it.  I have three games for it and a pair of Amiga controllers.  The games are Parsec, Treasure Island, and BurgerTime.  

If you ever get a multi-cart for it and a 32K expansion, you'll be able to play quite literally HUNDREDS of free games.  That's a lot of bang for the buck!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 1:51 PM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I have a TI but I rarely use it.  I have three games for it and a pair of Amiga controllers.  The games are Parsec, Treasure Island, and BurgerTime.  

Those little amiga controllers are a huge improvement over the standard TI sticks.  Although they are quite small. 

Parsec is a really good game, especially if you have the speech unit.  It's got such high-res graphics and smooth scrolling.  It's impressive. 

Okay, here's the status so far.  The poll has now been closed.  After nearly a month, there were only 10 participants.  Sadly most of the messages so far are from me, which you have to admit is quite boring!  I'm looking forward to the participation mentioned by the respondents to the poll.  To get this section up and operating, we need input of it's users/participants so they can decide what it is THEY want to see by adding messages and directing the flow of conversation. 

I'm asking a couple of favors from everyone reading this message.

1) Go out online to at least two places you hang out and contact two friends and let them know about this place.  If you have a podcast or YouTube page, even better.

2) Start a message thread on something TI related YOU want to see or YOU are interested in.

It's my dearest hope that this forum "take off", but I feel really weird logging in here to see my icon everywhere, I don't feel comfortable posting messages feeling like I'm hogging this place which belongs to everyone.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

9 hours ago, HDN said:

@- Ω - you should start a TI podcast. I don’t think there is one yet.

Actually there was a guy that did a series of them on the TI and they were quite informative at the time.  In all honesty though, I simply do not have a enough free time to devote to such a project, and I seriously doubt anyone would want to hear me drone on for for 15 minutes to an hour anyway.  I do have a YouTube site, and it gets very little activity, so no, a podcast is out of the question for me.

I'll continue here for now, but I'm limiting my postings based on activity.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

My TI will be the next system out of the attic once I've had my fill of 5200.  Next in queue.  

I'm also getting pressure from the family to clean off the table completely so we can do puzzles on it.  Dang!  I may have to move operations out to the garage.  At least it's no longer freezing cold out there.