Sign in to follow this  
leolinden

Got a Harmonica

So here I am necrobumping. :) I play harp on and off. Took some blues harp classes at the Old Town School of Folk Music; had the honor of being instructed by Joe Filisko a couple of times, too....

Take my word for it: invest some money in a couple of good Hohner Marine Band diatonics. They're about $25 to $30 a pop but they're great quality. Get a B-flat harp and an A harp -- those are good blues harps. (They're actually meant primarily to be played in F and E, respectively: good blues keys!) Marine Bands are the gold standards. The Special 20s have plastic combs, and the non-Special 20 Marine Bands have wood combs. Different players prefer the wood combs for overall timbre, but I prefer the plastic combs because 1) they're easier to bend notes on, and 2) they won't absorb moisture. (But many players take apart their harps -- not easy with a Marine Band -- and seal the wood combs with beeswax though to prevent moisture buildup.)

Just a few minutes ago I bought a Special 20. Needed one in Ab for a class. Holy CRAP, those things list price nearly DOUBLED in the last few years!!! List price is over $50....cripes...luckily the store where I got it 1) is non-profit and 2) discounts them significantly, but....youch...