Name That Game Via Haiku - March 2021 Forum Thread Game of the Month

nosweargamer

2 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Outlaw?

That's right!

I have a suggestion for the game. Rather than spending valuable daily posts on telling people that they're correct, I think we should just use the "Thanks" reaction. That way when someone sees that on their guess, they'll know they're right and can go ahead and post their next haiku.

Edited by HDN

That seems like a fine idea to me, but let's let @nosweargamer decide.  The original poster gets to have final say. 

Outlaw is a good one!  I did not realize David Crane wrote that.  I remember the arcade version had that cool pistol grip controller.  Atari/Kee really did a great job of integrating some unique controllers in those arcade games.  Kind of like the extra cost of fancy box art on 2600 games -- they didn't have to spend that extra money, but it sure made things more memorable. 

1 hour ago, HDN said:

That's right!

I have a suggestion for the game. Rather than spending valuable daily posts on telling people that they're correct, I think we should just use the "Thanks" reaction. That way when someone sees that on their guess, they'll know they're right and can go ahead and post their next haiku.

That could make things confusing. It makes more sense to just simply reply with "correct" or not and also helps keep everyone engaged.

Well done @RickR!

From the first haiku:

MC3D - particularly the 3D mode - is famous for its JJ Abrams like lens flare. The game has a mix of enemies, including alien ships and a dragon. The game was programmed for use with the cancelled Virtuality headset, JaguarVR. 

From the hint haiku: 

A core component of Missile Command is defending cities. Of the Atari Corps era updates for Jaguar, it was one that wasn't done by Minter. And 3D glasses FTW! 

It's one of my favorites on the Jaguar and my favorite version of Missile Command. 

IMG_20210218_124443153.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

4 hours ago, HDN said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but think it would be simpler for everyone to just type correct, or something of that sorts. There could be confusion if we have two different ways to let them know they got it right, and the "Thanks" icon can be done by anyone, even by accident, so if we did the Thanks thing, the guesser would still have to double check to make sure it came from the original author.

However, I do encourage people to explain their clues when someone guesses correctly. Sometimes people don't understand all the clues, and giving them enlightenment helps increase their precious retro gaming knowledge! 

download.jpg.19932db2abcdf72c8626e06a31fff6bc.jpg

I just want to say thanks to everyone who's been participating! I'm having a blast reading all the haikus and trying to guess the hints. This also gives me a Trivial Pursuit feel, where some may seem easy, but then others taking a little more thinking, and I like that! Keep it going all.

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

31 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Platform: Lynx and Evercade

A great game on Lynx

And Evercade, if preferred

The Jag update stinks

Before I answer this, I updated the Leadboard (I type this to help me keep track!)

I can think of two titles. I'll try Checkered Flag.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube