Name That Game Via Haiku - March 2021 Forum Thread Game of the Month

nosweargamer

54 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but think it would be simpler for everyone to just type correct, or something of that sorts. There could be confusion if we have two different ways to let them know they got it right, and the "Thanks" icon can be done by anyone, even by accident, so if we did the Thanks thing, the guesser would still have to double check to make sure it came from the original author.

However, I do encourage people to explain their clues when someone guesses correctly. Sometimes people don't understand all the clues, and giving them enlightenment helps increase their precious retro gaming knowledge! 

Yes. Common Sense = More Fun For Everyone! 🧠

54 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I just want to say thanks to everyone who's been participating! I'm having a blast reading all the haikus and trying to guess the hints. This also gives me a Trivial Pursuit feel, where some may seem easy, but then others taking a little more thinking, and I like that! Keep it going all.

🏆 Special Recognition to @nosweargamer for doing such a good job of leading this thread :nintendo_mario_1up: :nintendo_mario_1up: :nintendo_mario_1up:

Score one for the good guys! Leaderboard updated.

Platform: Atari 2600

You are trespassing!

That jingle sounds familiar...

Can I get a light? 

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

6 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Haunted House?

You got it!

HH features you basically entering a house that isn't yours using matches for light. And when you beat the game, you hear a jingle that sounds much like the Twilight Zone theme.

Leaderboard updated. You're up!

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

You got it @RadioPoultry

Wing Commander III is an excellent space sim that used FMV to great effect! It has a star studded cast, including Mark Hamill, Malcolm Mcdowell, John Rhys-Davies and Tom Wilson ("Biff" from Back to the Future) as Maniac. The main ship is the TCS Victory. On PC, 3DO and Playstation. 

True story: I made up my mind to get a Saturn over Playstation at least in part because print ads for Wing Commander III had it coming to both platforms. All things being equal, I liked Sega's original exclusive content better than Sony's and figured most third party games would hit both. That version never happened. 🕹️😂

tumblr_o9e0rt2B5G1tg94xho1_1280.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

1 hour ago, RadioPoultry said:

Platform: Atari 2600

Terror from the deep

Grows and grows with a strange grin

It remains nameless

I can't figure it out yet, but that belongs on the back of the box!

On 2/24/2021 at 6:18 PM, nosweargamer said:

Yes. I would've also accepted it with 93 in the title. This BB exclusive was loaded up with championship teams of the past and is part of the massive Madden series of games.

Leaderboard updated.

Your turn!

Since I never used BB outside of renting video tapes, I had no idea how much of a player Blockbusters was in video game retail. It’s very impressive that EA built a retailer exclusive release. 

11 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

Since I never used BB outside of renting video tapes, I had no idea how much of a player Blockbusters was in video game retail. It’s very impressive that EA built a retailer exclusive release. 

Yeah Blockbuster worked with several game companies to bring exclusives to their store to rent. The only way you could usually buy one is when they cleared out old rentals. I don't know all of them, but I do know that there was a Flintstones game for the NES, Final Fight guy for the SNES and a Clay Fighter game for the Nintendo 64 that were all Blockbuster exclusives. Deals like this worked because often the publisher wouldn't be sure that there would be enough success on normal retail shelves.

Just now, RickR said:

BOOM!  You are correct, sir.

The "coupled controller" part -- this was a game that came with a plastic coupler so you could use one stick to move and the other to fire. 

Platform: Various (but Atari 2600 in this case)

Collect the wafers

Something’s gumming up plumbing!

Where is Mario?