Name That Game Via Haiku - March 2021 Forum Thread Game of the Month

nosweargamer

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

G.I. Joe

Yo Joe! You got it! Leaderboard updated.

GI Joe ran for 12 years as a Marvel comic book and  the sequel, GI Joe The Atlantis Factor, had you continue your fight against the Cobra terrorists.

RE: Super Mario Word by @HDN 

I was not familiar with the ad tagline, so I can understand @Justin's point,  but I'm sure many snes fans are, so I can see why HDN included it. I also didn't know about the summer autumn thing, so if nothing else, his haiku actually helped me learn something new, which is cool with me.

So let's keep having fun, don't be scared to write your haiku, if it turns out to be too hard, just start dropping hints after 24 hours.

Your turn Rick!

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Just now, RickR said:

Atari 2600:

I am a square dot?
I have to kill a dragon?
Gladly only one. 

And a question for the crew:  Do we use syllables or words in counting for Haiku?  I did syllables, but maybe that isn't correct?

Yes, you are right.

5 syllables

7 syllables 

5 syllables

Clever haiku! And a little tricky! I'll see if anyone else can figure it out before I guess...

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Atari 2600:

I am a square dot?
I have to kill a dragon?
Gladly only one. 

And a question for the crew:  Do we use syllables or words in counting for Haiku?  I did syllables, but maybe that isn't correct?

I would say Adventure, but there is more than one dragon in that game...

Interesting. I can’t think of any right now.

20 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Obviously you don't want to be so obscure that it's near impossible to solve, but also you want to involve some thinking to it so it's not super easy.

Correct. We're having a fun time here.

20 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Also, if a haiku goes unsolved for 24 hrs, I encourage the author to add a hint for the solution.

Great idea! I second this.

17 minutes ago, HDN said:

Honestly, I don’t think that is “outside the scope of reasonable knowledge”.

It is. A tagline in a vintage TV commercial is obscure. As opposed to in-game references about Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, the world they exist in, etc. Not going to argue this point. 

It would be a good idea to keep "Haiku Hints" pertinent to the original source material of the game, rather than drawing references from outside sources such as vintage commercials, catalogs etc. 

1 hour ago, HDN said:

Correct, draw references from the game itself, not things like catalogs or ads. An image of an Atari 2600 on a page about the Atari 2600 is relevant. Don't use things in your haiku that nobody is going to know. 

And give other people a chance.

1 hour ago, Marco1019 said:

Platform: NES, Commodore 64

Fly in a copter
Shooting planes and factories
Fight the war machine!

Raid on Bungeling Bay?

32 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Raid on Bungeling Bay?

You're the big winner!

Fun Fact: You also face The Bungeling Empire in Choplifter and Lode Runner.

Fun Fact #2: I once played the C64 version and wondered what would happen if you destroyed the War Machine in the game without blowing up all six factories. It turned out that they don't build a second War Machine. I was kind of disappointed, then I laughed at the limited Bungeling budget.

Edited by Marco1019
Added Fun Fact #2/