Atari Touch Me

RickR

Aw..here I was jumping in here, certain that someone was calling me to share a moment, but it turns out to be about a 70s handheld toy.

Story of my life.

But seriously cool, still.

yeah, I can bet the marketing team that came up with this name were high-fiving each other.

The Simon color-match craze was rather fun.

The memory game tested your concentration mettle in a way that was intriguing for everybody.

Did not have a SImon myself, had an 'Einstein', from Castle toys - a rectangular, white, four large buttoned apparatus that did its job well enough.

As for Touch Me, I'm sure Mr. Furley could have made good use of it.

I had (and still have) Pocket Simon.........

LotImg11878.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Some interesting things related to touch me. Many believe Atari stole Pong from Ralph Baer and that Ralph Bear stole Touch Me  from Atari and turned it into Simon, which became more successful than Touch Me.  So in a way, Atari made more money than Baer from his invention Pong while Baer made more money from Atari's invention of Touch Me.

Also, Brain Games for the 2600 is basically based off of Touch Me;

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Here's the other two in the lot I got.  Both are working now.  Just needed some TLC.  Mostly it was the power switches that went bad. Coleco Football and Milton Bradley Comp IV. 

post-41-0-43440900-1433217284_thumb.jpg

And here's a shot of the whole handheld collection I've been building over many years.  These things are a lot of fun, and don't take up much space.

post-41-0-55220700-1433217292_thumb.jpg

I have two broken "Touch Me" handhelds on the way.  Keeping my fingers crossed that they can be fixed.  If so, they will be for sale for a nice fair price if anyone is interested. 

Or perhaps for trade for another project? ;)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

A Tale of Two Touch Me's

I received two broken Atari Touch Me's from Ebay, and they were both in really rough shape.  I was able to cobble parts together from both to make one working unit.  And it works great!  Buttons all cleaned and restored.  Electronics touched up.  Replaced speaker.  Replaced 9V battery connector. 

The other is forever broken, but makes a nice shelf display. 

The good, working, darker one is now up for trade if anyone is interested!

post-41-0-43405100-1443372663_thumb.jpg

post-41-0-45200500-1443372661_thumb.jpg

That's interesting that one is more orange than the other one. I wonder if they were manufactured in different countries, or if one of these is "the Heavy-Sixer of the Touch-Me's"

I was thinking the same.  My first one in post #1 is the same "orange".  There are slight differences throughout...circuit board, label, plastic thickness all a little different.  I'd guess the yellow is newer/cheaper. 

Man, I'd really like to learn more about this. I've always been intrigues by the idea of Atari handhelds and the lack thereof. I want to know why so many Atari handhelds were cancelled, and why Touch Me didn't become as known as Simon. Also the name, I wonder who came up with "Touch Me" and who in the marketing department thought that was a good name for a kids game.

Man, I'd really like to learn more about this. I've always been intrigues by the idea of Atari handhelds and the lack thereof. I want to know why so many Atari handhelds were cancelled, and why Touch Me didn't become as known as Simon. Also the name, I wonder who came up with "Touch Me" and who in the marketing department thought that was a good name for a kids game.

It is interesting.  I may take a video of Touch Me so you can see it in action.  The problems I see that Simon seemed to fix:

• The  name.  "Simon" is a perfect name for this game.  "Touch Me" is creepy, and not even descriptive of the game action.
  • Buttons - they are tiny on Touch Me.  Much larger on Simon.
  • Color - The lights on Touch Me are all red.  Simon used light up colored buttons instead. 
  • Sound - Not very pleasing on Touch Me.  Almost musical on Simon.

What Atari got right:

• Size.  Touch Me is totally portable.  It fits in a pocket easily.  Simon is huge.
  • Timing.  Touch me came out years earlier than Simon.
  • Engineering - Touch Me is really well made considering it was Atari's first handheld.  Simple design, small size, reliable components. 

What Atari got right:

• Size.  Touch Me is totally portable.  It fits in a pocket easily.  Simon is huge.

Unless you had "Pocket Simon" like mine - above post #6  ;)

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

How about the Radio Shack Pocket Repeat / Tandy Electronic Repeat for small size and handheld? I never owned one, but always saw them advertised in the Radio Shack catalogs and sales flyers on a regular basis.

post-52-0-22636700-1443408388_thumb.jpg

post-52-0-57732800-1443408489.jpg

Edited by arenafoot

I only had a Pocket Simon, which was great.

Me too!