Squad Challenge - Air Zonk (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Air Zonk
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: TURBOPAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Spicy Mode
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 1st through March 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing on Spicy Mode. This will begin the game with 3 lives and an intermediate level of gameplay action. You are free to select your choice of AUTO, MANUAL, or ALONE at the Friend Selection Screen, and you are free to play the game using any TurboSwitches configuration you wish. When you are ready, press RUN to start.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 99th Squad Challenge! We're celebrating our 99th challenge with one of my favorite TurboGrafx games, Air Zonk! Air Zonk is playable on all TurboGrafx systems, including the  TurboGrafx-16 base unit, the TurboExpress handheld, and the TurboDuo. Air Zonk is a very fast and very fun "cute 'em up" shooter, with Bonk's future ancestor Zonk fighting his way through Toxy World and other fun levels. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We have a supreme lineup of games coming your way for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

March: Air Zonk on TurboGrafx-16, and a Golf game to celebrate The Masters coming up!

April: National Pac-Man Day!

June: 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix, plus get ready for our Summer Pizza Party!

July: A Sega Master System game, HSW Day Ultimate Yars' Challenge, plus a game chosen by our Instagram followers!

September: An Atari Lynx game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Air Zonk.pce Air_Zonk_Instructions.pdf

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Winning a High Score Squad Challenge!"

btbfilms76 was awarded the badge '1st Time Squad Champ' and 5 points.

Playing on the PC Engine mini, with the 8bitdo game pad. 

A62970DB-956E-43BA-B396-E8205D9380FA.jpeg

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

Did a live stream tonight. Bummer that this game glitched out a lot while playing, while the others did not. 

I might delete the stream as I'm not happy with the quality, but for now, here's a pic of the score and the video below.

158600.png.ae90114919ad59b49c1be6c078fbdc5b.png

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

13 hours ago, Justin said:

What kind of mad sorcery is this?

Luck. I was almost on the verge of loosing it all every stage, then I’d get an extra man.  I was ready to throw in the towel several times but I was in the zone I guess. 

Host of The Jag Bar • Lynx Lounge  7800 Avenue

:youtube: Watch now on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrhPvmALbHpBUqrbBOms5Vw

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations btbfilms76!

Congratulations to @btbfilms76 on a masterful score! BTB knocked it out of the park with his score of 653,490 points, claiming the top spot in our TurboGrafx-16 Air Zonk Challenge! I took 2nd Place with a score of 431,700 points. @Dinobot711 came through with a stellar score to take 3rd Place on our Final Standings with a score of 230,290 points! @nosweargamer @RickR @Atari Creep and @Gianna all joined in on our 99th Squad Challenge and posted incredible scores. Great to see you guys coming out for TurboGrafx and posting such good scores, you are all legends. 

Congratulations to @btbfilms76 on his big win in becoming Atari I/O’s Air Zonk Champion, and a huge THANK YOU to BTB and everyone else whose been getting the word out about our community and inviting others to join us in High Score Squad. As always I'd like to encourage BTB to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! And a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun checking out TurboGrafx-16 with this game!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is for the NES! Be there!

large.final_standings_turbografx_16_air_zonk.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif