Best Electronics Atari light gun and Sentinel NTSC

I have heard that the official XG-1 light gun is notoriously inaccurate so I decided to modify a Sega Light Phaser for my Atari 7800 and totally failed. Luckily, I just now found a Best Electronics Best Atari Light Gun on ebay for $79.99 and it came with V61's Sentinel NTSC hack. Anyone out there have any personal experience with the Best Atari Light Gun or the V61 Sentinel NTSC game? I already have Crossbow and Alien Brigade. Meltdown, Sentinel NTSC and Barnyard Blaster are on their way. I already loaded ROMs of Sentinel and Bobby Needs Food, the 2 Atari 2600 light gun games that I am aware of, onto my UNO SD flash cart. Are there any other Atari 7800-2600 light gun games, homebrews or hacks out there? I like light gun games. 

Best Electronics Atari light gun.jpg

Best Electronics Atari light gun with Sentinel.jpg

For some some unexplained reason I've always had an obcession with light gun games, so over the years I've learned the skill of the squint when aiming and use parallax sighting to pretty much compensate for any slightly off aiming. I still can't figure out what I did wrong on the Sega Light Phaser mod attempt though. It seemed so simple.

1 hour ago, intellicolecovisonary said:

For some some unexplained reason I've always had an obsession with light gun games

Unexplained?  THOSE GAMES ARE AWESOME!  Honestly, that's one reason why I keep a few CRT's around -- to play Duck Hunt and Hogan's Alley on NES.  Sadly, I don't have any of the Atari light guns or games. 

A few months ago I discovered and subscribed to your Youtube channel and I really enjoy your channel's content. I've watched all your Atari 7800 content especially the light gun stuff.  the Best Atari Light Gun and Sentinel just shipped so after I receive it I will post my experieces. The light gun was tested and is working fine but Sentinel was sold as is due to having no sound but plays fine. I discovered in an old 7800 tips post that if you move the left difficulty switch to the left there is sound but if you move it to the right there is no sound.

5 hours ago, intellicolecovisonary said:

A few months ago I discovered and subscribed to your Youtube channel and I really enjoy your channel's content. I've watched all your Atari 7800 content especially the light gun stuff.  the Best Atari Light Gun and Sentinel just shipped so after I receive it I will post my experieces. The light gun was tested and is working fine but Sentinel was sold as is due to having no sound but plays fine. I discovered in an old 7800 tips post that if you move the left difficulty switch to the left there is sound but if you move it to the right there is no sound.

Thanks for checking us out. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about that game. Thats the one light gun game I don’t have. Let me know if it’s worth a pick up. 

I have an XE light gun that I actually bought from Best several years ago. It seems to be just as accurate as any other light gun I've used. Then again, I was standing only about 3 or 4 feet from my TV at the time I was using it. But I didn't even have to use the sights. just pointed and shot. It was the first time I managed to beat Alien Brigade as I had only played the game with a controller in the past and could never finish it. However, with the light gun, I beat it on my first try!

Trying the same game in Crossbow, I felt that it wasn't as accurate as I am with a controller in that game. I only ever learned to play Crossbow with a joystick in the 80s so it is just how I'm used to playing that one.

Posted (edited)

I've had a day now to test out my Best Electronics light gun and judging by most reviews I've seen I was prepared to be disapointed with the gun's accuracy. I've spent significant time now playing all 5 of the 7800 light gun games on a 27" RCA CRT from a distance of ~4-5ft. I am happy to say that I am not disapointed. My accuracy is as good or better than the Light Phaser or Zapper. Something is off with Barnyard Blaster but it has nothing to do with the gun. BTB mentioned in on of his videos about aiming by 'looking through' the gun rather than using the gun sites to aim in the conventional manner and by doing just that, as bad as the coding in Barnyard Blaster is, I still got 75% acurracy rating the very first try. I enjoyed Sentinel more than I though I would and the gun is very accurate with this game as well as Alien Brigade and Crossbow. However on Meltdown the targets are pretty small and the action gets a bit too frenetic. I discovered long ago when I upgraded from a 13" to a 27" CRT that the Larger CRT tubes make for a more accurate, repeatable and enjoyable light gun experience.

Edited by intellicolecovisonary