Who at Atari is responsible for this atrocious art?!

I remember that poster.  I always made fun of it but I also wondered where they got that 7800 controller until I learned what it was many decades later.  Now my turn to nitpik at this poster's art.

• The 7800 is way off.  The chrome strip is not that high up...or is it?
  • The car seems a bit unproportioned on the front.  I thought F1-style cars had a front wing that went in front of the tires completely to help protect them?
  • Centipede looks like he has make-up on.
  • Bentley Bear looks like his face seen a baseball bat.

But I do see one good thing which might have been the starting point. The football player seems to be of a similar style that early 2600 games used.  OH...and the 2600 JR model doesn't look too bad.  Then again how hard is it to draw a wedge?  And in some ways I feel the poster should have said the Atari "Dis" Advantage.  In some ways.  Not everything under Jack was completely bad...just had a short life span and/or cheap feel.  Kind of makes the 5200 seem more like the better product before Jack came along.  I'm not going to say anything about the 2600.  That machine could survive an apocalypse. 

I feel fortunate that in 1988 & 1989 we even got a poster at all. This poster hung on my bedroom wall when I was a kid. It also served as the closest thing we had to an Atari catalog during that era. Under Warner Communications ownership of Atari, Inc. we used to get nice thick catalogs of current and upcoming games, with a few pages at the front or back dedicated to accessories or the Atari Club. We were lucky if we received color cartridge labels during the Tramiel era.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

I feel fortunate that in 1988 & 1989 we even got a poster at all. This poster hung on my bedroom wall when I was a kid. It also served as the closest thing we had to an Atari catalog during that era. Under Warner Communications ownership of Atari, Inc. we used to get nice thick catalogs of current and upcoming games, with a few pages at the front or back dedicated to accessories or the Atari Club. We were lucky if we received color cartridge labels during the Tramiel era.

You know, that's the first thing I look for when I open a new game that has sat around for decades is any kind of a catalog. When I opened one of my silver labeled games and seen that red Atari catalog I was all excited!  I must have read that catalog for about an hour before I played the game.  I didn't care about the game, it no longer mattered.  I had a catalog.  The 5200 games got a poster that showcased games. I sort of miss the "wow" factor Atari went through to sell a product.  That silver that the 5200 used heavily was always awesome to look at.  

Umm...colored labels?  What's those 😉 When I owned my first 7800 (I was in high school so a very long time ago) I found a copy of Ms. Pac-Man where the cartridge label was colored.  I've never seen another one since.  At the time I didn't realize how rare what I had was but I soon learned how Atari was treating the 7800.  The inconsistency with the product bugged me.  It was a killer console, still is, but it would have made a larger difference if Atari would have gave the system the love it deserved as well.  

On 3/5/2021 at 12:44 AM, Atari 5200 Guy said:
  • The 7800 is way off.  The chrome strip is not that high up...or is it?

It looks the way it does because they actually have the 7800 upside down. The bottom in that pic is in fact the top of the console. So the strip is correct if you turn it around 180 degrees. Can also tell it is upside down because the the rainbow stripe along the at strip should be higher up as well.