Useful F18A Tip

cbmeeks

For those that have installed the F18A, one thing you might want to search for is a right angle VGA adapter like the one here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiwai-VGA-SVGA-Male-To-Female-extension-Adapter-Vertical-Flat-Right-Angled/373388659830?hash=item56efb2cc76:g:AxUAAOSwisRf1Tbm

I didn't buy this exact one, but I bought one similar a couple years ago and it really helped with the video cable routing on my small desk.  I hated the way the video cable bunched up near my monitor so routing it to the left at 90 degrees made it much nicer.

Just make sure you pay attention to the orientation and male/female ends if you purchase one.

5 minutes ago, RickR said:

As someone that doesn't really know what the F18A is, can you explain a little?  It offers VGA output.  Anything else?  Is it hard to install?

Sorry, I made an assumption.  🙂

The F18A is a cycle-accurate replacement for the video chip in the TI-99/4A.  The TMS9918.  It also has some extra features.  Basically, it outputs VGA instead of composite.

Unfortunately, they are not made any more.  But the creator has a version 2 (MK2) that should be released sometime soon (we hope).

3 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

Sorry, I made an assumption.  🙂

The F18A is a cycle-accurate replacement for the video chip in the TI-99/4A.  The TMS9918.  It also has some extra features.  Basically, it outputs VGA instead of composite.

Unfortunately, they are not made any more.  But the creator has a version 2 (MK2) that should be released sometime soon (we hope).

Does the composite output still work?  Could you output to both composite (or RF) and VGA at the same time? 

I'm so full of questions, sorry about this.  I can't remember if the TI motherboards are socketed or not.  Is it really just a drop in replacement?  And them some kind of wiring installation for the VGA port? 

This sounds pretty cool.  I imagine it would work on other systems that use the same video chip.   

Edited by RickR

Everything about it is here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/168968-f18a/

But to answer your questions, no.  The composite is not supported on the new chip.  It's an FPGA implementation and composite was not used.

I don't think all TI's are socketed.  If not, you would have to remove it yourself (or get someone to help).

Just remember, desoldering can be challenging.

6 hours ago, cbmeeks said:

I don't think all TI's are socketed.  If not, you would have to remove it yourself (or get someone to help).

I've never seen a TI that did not have a socketed 9918.  I cannot speak of all the QI motherboards out there, but even on the photo below of this QI motherboard has a heatsink, but the 9918 is socketed.

heat_sink_qi.jpg

<<< My YouTube Page >>>