Restoring TI-99/4A's (Tips, Tricks and Photo Results)

- Ω -

As our TI's age, they may break down, or you may have purchased a broken or even a 'thrashed' unit.  This topic will be for any and all restoration tips you have developed or projects you have completed.  So, please share them here, you might just be helping someone in need... or someone may return the favor for you someday.  

If you are in the beginning stages of a 'resto' and have any questions... fire away!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Only thing I did with my Ti about 2 years ago was to replace all the caps in it with a kit from Console5. I also redid the bodge wires inside so they weren't going over those heat spreaders anymore. I also know that I wiped off the old thermal paste and replaced with newer higher grade stuff. But that was it, just a little preventive maintenance for the future. Didn't take any pics at the time as I didn't think about it?

Here is the link for the cap kit I used about 2 years back. They are currently out of stock, but that just means they haven't put any together as a complete kit. They like have the caps so might have to send them an email to ask about it.

https://console5.com/store/texas-instruments-ti99-4a-nichicon-axial-cap-kit.html

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

5 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Only thing I did with my Ti about 2 years ago was to replace all the caps in it with a kit from Console5. I also redid the bodge wires inside so they weren't going over those heat spreaders anymore. I also know that I wiped off the old thermal paste and replaced with newer higher grade stuff. But that was it, just a little preventive maintenance for the future. Didn't take any pics at the time as I didn't think about it?

Do you have a link for "Console 5"?  This may come in handy for others.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On the subject of retro-brighting, there is a really cool guy that goes by the name @Airshack who has performed the procedure on an Apple II.  I wonder if he or anyone else here has had any experience with performing the procedure on a beige TI?

Also, after the procedure, does anyone know if spray painting the case in clear UV paint would prevent it from happening again?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>