What do you consider the best vintage joystick for the Atari 2600/7800?

Back in in the early 1980's, I bought a Supr Stick by D Zyne Video Production Inc. that I saw in a magazine mail order ad. It was micro switched but it was cumbersome to hold and not very stable on a table top, and I had to replace a micro switch that went bad just a few years later. I originally paid $39.99 plus shipping and sold it to another collector in 2007 for $120. I imagine it's value has gone up since then but ergonomic it was not.

d Zyne Supr stik.jpg

Edited by intellicolecovisonary

I have 3 CX40 joysticks, couple of Sega Genesis pads, and recently got a Kraft similar to RickR that have not tried yet.  

I much prefer using joysticks for Atari since grew up with a PointMaster joystick which was OK back then but don't have one now.   I do like the comfort/low force needed of the fire button pressing on the Genesis pad though vs CX40.

Recently one of the CX40s started to fail and decided to try solder in the same low profile microswitchs that @Willie! did on his YouTube channel.    Did it last night and what a difference in accuracy and reduced force needed for the fire button and joystick!  Really liking it so far though the clicks can take some getting used too since coming from a non microswitch design but it's really not bad at all.   Will need to give it more use to see how it goes and try out the Kraft.

5 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

I have 3 CX40 joysticks, couple of Sega Genesis pads, and recently got a Kraft similar to RickR that have not tried yet.  

I much prefer using joysticks for Atari since grew up with a PointMaster joystick which was OK back then but don't have one now.   I do like the comfort/low force needed of the fire button pressing on the Genesis pad though vs CX40.

Recently one of the CX40s started to fail and decided to try solder in the same low profile microswitchs that @Willie! did on his YouTube channel.    Did it last night and what a difference in accuracy and reduced force needed for the fire button and joystick!  Really liking it so far though the clicks can take some getting used too since coming from a non microswitch design but it's really not bad at all.   Will need to give it more use to see how it goes and try out the Kraft.

putting some of those low profile microswitchs in a 7800 controller and a colecovision controller 😛