What's new with everyone?

HDN

It's been a while since I've been active here. I had a lot of catch up to do, going back to school and all. Atari.io tends to be a place where I write long, intensive posts and I just didn't have the time for that as much as I used to back in the Ferg. I've stayed on Discord mostly, as it's a lot quicker and easier to do in a couple of minutes compared to this. I've kept in contact with a few of you guys there.

Now it's summer, and my schedule is free. I can spend more time here now! I'm happy to be back home.

So, what's new with everyone here?

Me, I've had a lot happen. I had an AP history test that I hope I did well on (haven't gotten any results yet), went back to school and caught up with my friends and was actually able to learn stuff (virtual school did NOT suit me), got an Odyssey 2, became a Beach Boys fan (thanks to a number of people who "forced me" to give Pet Sounds another shot, which I'm listening to while writing this, actually), went to my first vacation in a year and got horribly sick, tried dating again but decided not to, and most importantly, made it through my sophomore year of high school alive!

I haven't been entirely inactive during this time. I've been doing a lot regarding @fergojisan's podcast and the like. Like I have said, I've been in touch with a few of you there.

But anyways, I'm back finally. So what's new with all of you? What did I miss? How are you all doing?

Sounds like you had a busy time.  And sorry to hear you got sick.  That sucks!

Interesting you should mention "Pet Sounds".  I just went on a plane trip to Omaha for a wedding, and what album did I take with me to listen to on the way?  "Pet Sounds"!  Serendipity.  It's always been good to me.  But over the years, I've come to know so much about how it was made with "The Wrecking Crew" studio musicians being directed by Brian Wilson.  So my opinion has changed a bit.  I don't really consider it Beach Boys as much as a Brian Wilson record. 

When I dove deep into the Beatles back in 2019, I inevitably stumbled across people online talking about how good Pet Sounds was. I listened to the album on CD back then and I was heavily biased. "There's no way it can be better than The Beatles," I thought. What's more, I was raised in a household that hated The Beach Boys with a passion. So at the time, I didn't really like it much. 

But nowadays I really quite enjoy it. I recently bought a vinyl copy. It's in stereo, so I'm sure the purists will cringe, but I'll take what I can get.

I rolled my eyes when I saw the word "purists".  Enjoy the music or don't.  It's a personal thing and what does it matter if you do or don't like it?

My copy is the 40th anniversary CD.  One of my kids has an orig vinyl and I don't think it's stereo.  Whatever.  It sounds good in both formats to me. 

Hey, Harry! Good to see you.

It's been quite the roller coaster ride in my life since November last year. Things are stable now, and I'm just now trying re-build normalcy and routine back into my life. I randomly dropped in here on the I/O during the past few months when I felt able, but I'm looking to ease back in on a regular cadence. I look forward to the I/O fun.

Been weird. Good things and bad things and middle things. Taking a podcast break for the summer (still listening, just not publishing!). My dad died a month ago unfortunately and we're burying his cremains in a national cemetery next month, going to California soon, listening to a lot of vinyl lately...just got my AtariAge order that I placed in November (ooooh, can't wait to play the games!), been grilling a bit more since I got my new Weber kettle...overall, can't complain.

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your father passing.  My sincere condolences to you. 

I've been grilling too, and that's been a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, dauber said:

Been weird. Good things and bad things and middle things. Taking a podcast break for the summer (still listening, just not publishing!). My dad died a month ago unfortunately and we're burying his cremains in a national cemetery next month, going to California soon, listening to a lot of vinyl lately...just got my AtariAge order that I placed in November (ooooh, can't wait to play the games!), been grilling a bit more since I got my new Weber kettle...overall, can't complain.

15 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm truly sorry to hear about your father passing.  My sincere condolences to you. 

I've been grilling too, and that's been a lot of fun.

My condolences as well. I lost my father a few years ago, but he and I weren't ever that close. Still, even with the troubling issues he had in his life, I can't help but feel sorry for him and wished that in my adult years, that I had tried to spend a little more time with him. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of his passing as it was a health related issue that was going to get him anyway. Still, it would have provided him and myself some better memories. He would totally be interested in the stuff I do these days also with the game console service work stuff.

As for grilling, this was something my wife and I did quite often throughout the year. Heck more than once she would grill up some steaks with snow outside on the ground! LOL. But, she let a grease fire get away from her one day and it basically cooked the grill too badly. I was able to repair the ignition starter and replace the thermometer. But too much of the protector layer on the metal was burned and it started to rust almost immediately. We have never gotten rid of it as it rusts away on the porch and haven't replaced it either. Likely still has half a tank of propane still on it too.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections