Squad Challenge - 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix (Atari 7800)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Pole Position II
Atari 7800
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: SUZUKA
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST June 30, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score racing the SUZUKA Track in Pole Position II on the Atari 7800. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between June 15th through June 30th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Achieve high score to win Grand Prix Challenge. Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are racing on the SUZUKA Track in Pole Position II. Players will select SUZUKA at the title screen.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 102nd Squad Challenge, the 2021 Pole Position II Grand Prix! This will be our 4th Annual Pole Position II Grand Prix Event! This year's Grand Prix challenge will run until June 30th, 2021 racing the SUZUKA Track for your best possible score! Suzuka is THE HARDEST TRACK in all of Pole Position! Most of you will not make it to the finish line. Many of you will not even qualify. But strap in, rev your engines, and give it your best shot! Even if you don't finish the game, post your highest score and show off your accomplishment! Pole Position is one of the most iconic arcade games released by Atari and was genre-defining for its time, setting a new standard of what racing gameplay could be like. Pole Position II was included as the pack-in title for the Atari 7800 and is often revered as the first game 7800 owners played on their new game system. For many of us 7800 gamers, Pole Position II was the first video game we ever owned! I have so many wonderful memories of playing Pole Position II at Chuck E. Cheese's with my family, shifting gears and whipping around corners with a cheese stick in my hand and a cup of root beer on the floor under my feet. It also became one of my favorite games to play at home and remains a wonderful memory on the Atari 7800. ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to our Racers!

NOTE: Another fun Squad Challenge Event is coming up on July 1st! 

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Pole_Position_II.pdf Pole_Position_II.a78

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Racers!

Congratulations to everyone who joined in the big race!! Suzuka was the hardest track to race, difficult enough to provide tremendous challenge to us adult players but still hopefully fun to play!

@Marco1019 takes the grand prix championship this year with a high score of 51,250 points! Congratulations Marco! @MaliciousCarp takes 2nd Place with 42,590 points, and I take 3rd with a score of 42,550. @Gianna came in 4th Place with her score of 31,560, @RickR takes 5th with 31,320, @Sabertooth takes 6th Place with 31,300, and @TrekMD rounds things out with 18,630 points. Congratulations to Marco on his big win, and I hope everybody had fun playing in our annual Pole Position II Grand Prix!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be Venture on the Atari 2600! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_venture.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif