Requesting: Suggestions & Comments for a Future Atari 5200 Video

- Ω -

I'm planning on making an Atari 5200 video to post on YouTube, and am requesting your input for "side topics" to include that might draw in new people.  Also, I'm planning to include a few screenshots of games for the 5200 that can "grab someone's attention".  Of course I'll include one or two standard games, but I'm curious about what third-party or homebrew games you would recommend being showcased. 

After thinking about it so far, the main topic will be the UAV modification and associated information, with honorable mentions going to the Atarimax cartridge and Atari.io... but is there anything else you would include?

The 5200 can give one an awesome "bang for the buck" with a limited investment (compared to other systems), so why not tell the world?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Well, I think if you want to impress new comers to the 5200, showing them some of the common games and how they compared to the 2600 is one way to do it. After all, that is exactly what Atari did in their marketing for the 5200 back in the day.

The difficult part of this will be to convince them on why they should with a 5200 over one of the 8-bit computers since they share much of the same hardware and games between them look nearly identical in most instances.

But if you want to wow them here are few suggestions:

- The Last Starfighter (Never released for the 5200 although the game was completed.) It became the basis for what would become Star Raiders II for the 8-bit line.

- Blaster (Also completed but never finished.) It would have been an exclusive in the 5200 library and it is a shame this didn't get released. It is really impressive and fun.

- Star Raiders (Playing this in emulation is what made me want to get a 5200 because the 3D effect of the explosions is crazy impressive for the hardware.)

- Tempest (Although I don't own it, I hear this is great conversion of the arcade classic. Especially with the trackball controller.)

- Rescue on Fractalus (Another game that made me want to get a 5200.) Visually amazing then and still impressive now.

- Motion video (Yes there are motion video demos that can be played through the AtariMax Ultimate SD version). There is the usual Bad Apple Demo and my favorite being Dragon's Lair videos.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I think you're on the right track. 

You might also consider a video highlighting the various "new" controller options available.  From the ikonsgr module to the retrogameboyz controller and pad, there are a lot of inexpensive ways to fix the main issue for collectors (finding good working controllers). 

7 hours ago, CrossBow said:

Well, I think if you want to impress new comers to the 5200, showing them some of the common games and how they compared to the 2600 is one way to do it. After all, that is exactly what Atari did in their marketing for the 5200 back in the day.

The difficult part of this will be to convince them on why they should with a 5200 over one of the 8-bit computers since they share much of the same hardware and games between them look nearly identical in most instances.

But if you want to wow them here are few suggestions:

- The Last Starfighter (Never released for the 5200 although the game was completed.) It became the basis for what would become Star Raiders II for the 8-bit line.

- Blaster (Also completed but never finished.) It would have been an exclusive in the 5200 library and it is a shame this didn't get released. It is really impressive and fun.

- Star Raiders (Playing this in emulation is what made me want to get a 5200 because the 3D effect of the explosions is crazy impressive for the hardware.)

- Tempest (Although I don't own it, I hear this is great conversion of the arcade classic. Especially with the trackball controller.)

- Rescue on Fractalus (Another game that made me want to get a 5200.) Visually amazing then and still impressive now.

- Motion video (Yes there are motion video demos that can be played through the AtariMax Ultimate SD version). There is the usual Bad Apple Demo and my favorite being Dragon's Lair videos.

Some good advice there.  I'm taking notes.  BTW - Did you get my email?

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I agree about a video on the FMV demos on the Atarimax UltimateSD cart. I didn't know that they were experimenting with that on the A5200. I have heard they were on the A2600, though. It was Dragon's Lair and Bad Apple put on the A2600. It was highly compressed, but it worked. I would love to see a video about those FMV experiments on the A5200. If you can find one, anyway. I seem to have zero luck in finding anything on the Net. I might not be looking hard enough, though. Thanks. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

Sorry, but everything is on hold here.  I filed a missing person report on my brother yesterday, and after the authorities broke the lock and entered his house, they found him passed away on his sofa, he was only 65.  There is a lot of stuff I have to deal with now, so hobbies have fallen to the bottom of the priority list.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

3 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Sorry, but everything is on hold here.  I filed a missing person report on my brother yesterday, and after the authorities broke the lock and entered his house, they found him passed away on his sofa, he was only 65.  There is a lot of stuff I have to deal with now, so hobbies have fallen to the bottom of the priority list.

I can't even being to imagine... my condolences as well to you and your family.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Oooooh yeah!  @CrossBow has finished upgrading my 5200 and the video and photos he shared with me are freaking amazing!  Which bring me to another question I need to ask you guys on the forum here...

Which S-VIDEO to HDMI adapter is the most popular?  From the video he shared, the composite was better than the RF I was using, but man, that S-Video was freaking SHARP.  Sadly the TV I use the 5200 on has no S-Video input, so I gotta get an adapter.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Well, if it helps. What I'm using isn't too expensive when you think about everything I can do with it.

I use an Extron 7SC commercial grade AV selector that dates from around 2003. They are usually quite cheap on eBay etc. But, they only use BNC connectors for the rear inputs and use phoenix connectors for the audio input on the rear as well. I made adapters for the audio to give me standard RCA jacks to use and have BNC to RCA adapters on all of my inputs. Having said that, the best part about the 7SC is that is can take pretty much any analog video input. Composite, S-video, RGB, RGBHV, and YUV component. From there it converts and scales everything to a standard VGA output signal. I set the output resolution on the Extron to the lowest available being 640x480 at a locked 60hz refresh. The extron can output up to 1080P but I found the output image looks better at the lowest setting from it. Here is the current list of 7SC available on the 'bay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=extron+7sc&_sacat=0 

From there, that VGA output goes into my OSSC and then to my TV. But, there are inexpensive VGA to HDMI adapters that will work great as I used to use one for while on the Extron before I got the OSSC. They introduce little to no additional lag and as you can see, the picture quality when fully upscaled and sent to my 48" Bravia in the game room is. Well, let's just say that the s-video from a 5200 is so good, that I've never wanted to go anything better on it. I just don't see a need because of how sharp, clear, and vibrant it is already through s-video. Here is a VGA to HDMI very similar to what I was using before I got my OSSC:

https://www.amazon.com/FOINNEX-Converter-Computer-Projector-Portable/dp/B07121Y1Z3/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3FRWLARHNKB8I&dchild=1&keywords=vga+to+hdmi+adapter&qid=1632748601&sprefix=vga+to+hdmi%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-8

And yes, the composite image is good, but like most 5200s, you will see some vertical banding on the left hand side due to the noisy DRAM inside the 5200 that is also... interestingly enough, on the left hand side of the main board.

I guess the point is that there are s-video to HDMI converters, but they aren't going to produce quite a sharp a picture as what you see in my game room AV setup. The real trick to using something like I have is that it will require space for that Extron as it designed for rack mounting and so it is AV component sized. It also doesn't have an on/off switch on it so as soon as you apply power on the cord, it is powered on and they have a cooling fan. So they can be noisy. What I did with mine aside from making the adapters for simpler audio input, was to find and retro fit a Noctua fan internally for MUCH quieter operation, and installed a large high voltage toggle switch on the front of the case to complete the neutral connected on/off as needed to control actual power so I didn't have to reach around behind it and unplug it all the time when I didn't need it or didn't want to hear it. So yes it was an investment and it required some additional time and money afterwards. But it has given me an amazing amount of flexibility to have a lot of classic stuff connected up at once at the ready with the push of a button (Or the remote for it), and combine that with the VGA to HDMI conversion that the OSSC provides.

Edited by CrossBow