1985 LEGO Catalog

The Professor

post-7-0-27705500-1433892184_thumb.jpg

The guys over at The Retroist have a great post with multiple page scans of the 1985 LEGO Catalog. Some of you may really enjoy this post.

As a nerd and a maker at heart I love LEGO! There was no limit to what you could build. Some of the modern incarnations have become so intricate and branded for movies and cartoons that I miss the original-style LEGOs where you had to use your imagination and you could build anything.

Almost like Atari was with pixels.  ^_^

The link is here: http://www.retroist.com/2009/01/14/1985-lego-catalog/

I still have all of my childhood LEGO's......the sets I have that are listed in this catalog are:

page 16 -  6804 Surface Rover, 6824 Space Dart-1, 6826 Crater Crawler

page 18 - 550 Straight Road Plates, 6000 Legoland Idea Book

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

The best thing about Lego is the ability to pass them onto your kids. I really love seeing my children playing with them and knowing that they were mine before. And, it gets me a chance to be with my kids and enjoy them together. An added bonus has been the addition of Lego video games, short films and a full length movie that we can experience them in a whole new way. I have been wanting to go check out Lego land with them as well.

This was my favorite LEGO book......(not really a catalog)............. and I still have it!

post-52-0-91038100-1443406158.jpg

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

Oh that Idea Book above ruled my LEGO world back then...liked it so much I had 2 of them becasue I used up the stickers from my 1st one.

I still play with LEGO & never considered it a "nerd" pastime. One of my sons barely bats an eye, but the other has me build entire lines/themes (city, space, castle etc) of sets we have. & now that Im an adult with income, I can get big sets that as a kid were financially out of reach, though many of those have increased in cost & value. I usu. get them as gifts; rarely buying them outright, though we were first to act on a big Craiglist ad in autumn 2014 (almost everything he had for $100) & some lucky garage sale finds have paid off too.

My favorite set is the Space Cruiser I got for Xmas when I was 7, I can still build it by heart! I think the biggest set we ever had was a fire station, which cost all of $15 at Target back in the early 80s. But with a gain in finances, there's less time to build & play- so much for growing up.

We just got thru playing with my Pirates sets, before that it was Castle, last weekend I built my classic Space sets, about a dozen in all. Last year we had our City sets up, which took up most of the floorspace in what I've since converted to a game room. I told my kids if they want it setup again, I'd put it on the floor in the garage & I'd park outside this summer.

Some good LEGO sites:

www.bricklink.com (buy/sell LEGO online)

www.brickset.com (comprehensive LEGO site, I've done a few set reviews here, ID gelkster)

www.peeron.com (view instructions/catalogs)

www.letsbuilditagain.com (view instructions)

7800- 800XL- ColecoVision & mods.1&2- Flashback2- GBA SP- launch PS2- slim PS2- Wii- DSLite x2- DSi- slim PS3- Xevious

I have been wanting to go check out Lego land with them as well.

I've been lucky enough now to visit both US coasts' LEGOLands within the last few years, & the lesser one in Schaumburg IL.

If you get to the Florida location, the TECHNIC roller coaster isn't as "tame" as you'd think.

7800- 800XL- ColecoVision & mods.1&2- Flashback2- GBA SP- launch PS2- slim PS2- Wii- DSLite x2- DSi- slim PS3- Xevious

Archived