Squad Challenge - "Ultimate" Asteroids (Atari 2600)

Justin

On 8/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, socrates63 said:

YASS finally broke the 40k barrier. I have to admit that I didn't care much for Asteroids in the past. I think it was my disappointment as a kid seeing solid colorful asteroids instead of mimicking of arcade vector graphics (homebrew Space Rocks is awesome in this regard) and having to use a joystick which never felt natural with this game. But 40 years later, I'm having a blast playing it. Just as I re-discovered 2600 Pac-Man and absolutely loved it after hating it for nearly 40 years, I'm really glad that I finally discovered the joy of these games. Add, too, Galaxian--another game I hated on but became a fan of recently through playing the 2600 version.

About the controller, the Starplex doesn't feel quite right but way better than any other controller I have for playing Asteroids. One of these days, I'll have to commission an all-button 2600/7800 controller than fits me. I traded my all-button Retrogameboyz controller with Rick because I got hand cramps from using it. The button spread on the Starplex is a bit wider than the Retrogameboyz one and my hands are not cramping, but it's still not totally comfortable.

IMG_0752.JPG.3ccdf4f5d1017367807b1bba75a2f6a2.JPG

Damn you!  (Said like Khan from Star Trek) 🙂  

I will try to hit 40k too.  The problem is that the weather here has been so beautiful this week.  80's.  I've been outside when I'm not cooking or working. 

25 minutes ago, RickR said:

Damn you!  (Said like Khan from Star Trek) 🙂  

I will try to hit 40k too.  The problem is that the weather here has been so beautiful this week.  80's.  I've been outside when I'm not cooking or working. 

80s? We've been mostly sunny as well but in the 70s and a few days in the 60s. Temperatures are stepping down and looking like we're easing into autumn.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wun4kcbvpa094ojdha

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Winning a High Score Squad Challenge!"

socrates63 was awarded the badge '1st Time Squad Champ' and 5 points.

A small improvement, but this run, I was so full of hope of breaking 50k 😆 I mean, I crossed 40k with my first life and was feeling real good about myself and dreaming of crossing 50k, and then promptly lost the next three only after a few thousand more points. As the saying goes, don't count your 🐥 before they are hatched.

IMG_0755.JPG.67941bcbda906ba38f01b2f7b9d6ea2e.JPG

Edited by socrates63

6 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

A small improvement, but this run, I was so full of hope of breaking 50k 😆 I mean, I crossed 40k with my first life and was feeling real good about myself and dreaming of crossing 50k, and then promptly lost the next three only after a few thousand more points. As the saying goes, don't count your 🐥 before they are hatched.

IMG_0755.JPG.67941bcbda906ba38f01b2f7b9d6ea2e.JPG

khan.jpg

You guys are posting great scores! 🤩

This has been a really fun Squad Challenge, I’m enjoying playing Asteroids on these difficulty settings. Asteroids is one of my favorite 2600 games.  

Our Asteroids Squad Challenge runs through Tuesday night, there’s still time to invite people to join in so let’s get the word out! 🔈

40 minutes ago, socrates63 said:

40 points! Oh man, I feel for you Marco 😄😆👍👏. I don't think I ever broke 45k again after my last posted score.

Thanks, but I really had no idea I was that close until after my game ended. I had seen some scores over 40K so I figured I was Top 5 which would have been fine.

The closest score I posted after that run was 43K.

Woohoo 🎉

Well done, everyone! I didn't think my score would hold up, and @Marco1019 came oh so close. Asteroids was a lot of fun, and I really liked game 8️⃣A.

But even better than 🥇🏆 is the fact that I've learned to really appreciate a 2600 gaming classic. I always heard everyone rave about 2600 Asteroids over the years, but it was never a favorite of mine as a kid (disappointment with the controller experience and seeing colorful space rocks), and it stayed that way until this squad challenge. Asteroids now is the third game that I didn't like as a kid but really loved and embraced during my re-connect with the 2600 as an adult.

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

Woohoo 🎉

Well done, everyone! I didn't think my score would hold up, and @Marco1019 came oh so close. Asteroids was a lot of fun, and I really liked game 8️⃣A.

But even better than 🥇🏆 is the fact that I've learned to really appreciate a 2600 gaming classic. I always heard everyone rave about 2600 Asteroids over the years, but it was never a favorite of mine as a kid (disappointment with the controller experience and seeing colorful space rocks), and it stayed that way until this squad challenge. Asteroids now is the third game that I didn't like as a kid but really loved and embraced during my re-connect with the 2600 as an adult.

We don't play these "pillar" titles in High Score Squad as often as people would assume. I'm really liking playing these iconic classics on "Ultimate" difficulty settings, it spices things up enough to give these games a new challenge!