Which do you prefer: Flip, Shields, or Hyperspace? - Asteroids (Atari 2600)

Justin

Which do you prefer: Flip, Shields, or Hyperspace? - Asteroids (Atari 2600)  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer: Flip, Shields, or Hyperspace? - Asteroids (Atari 2600)

• Flip
    • Shields
    • Hyperspace

I've really, really enjoyed playing Asteroids with you guys in our current High Score Squad Challenge! We're playing on Game 8, Difficulty A which are the most challenging Difficulty Settings using Hyperspace. I think Hyperspace is a lot of fun, but sometimes I'll be caught in a pinch and think to myself "I could survive this if I had shields".

So which is your preferred way of playing Asteroids on Atari 2600? Flip, Shields, or Hyperspace? If we did this Squad Challenge again in the future, we may change it up a bit depending on what the results tell us! 

It's really just a competition between Hyperspace and Shields. Who uses flip? It's really kind of pointless.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

That's what the arcade game used, and it's a total gamble whether you'll survive or not. 

That's a good point. But, didn't Asteroids Deluxe have the Shields instead? I don't remember if that came out before or after the 2600 port, but if it came before, that's pretty neat. Two arcade ports in one cart! That's ambitious for such an early 2600 game.

Yes @HDN the arcade version of Asteroids Deluxe had the shield.

Going back to the poll, while I voted for shield because it makes playing the game easier, I'm good with hyperspace since it's faithful to the original game.

One thing I like about hyperspace in the 2600 Asteroids is that you don't randomly die just for deploying it. In the arcade version, you'd randomly die when you jumped out of hyperspace even if the space you appeared in was clear of asteroids. That was extremely annoying.

I detested hyperspace!  (In the arcade version)

It's was like rolling the dice, you never know where you were coming out... usually right before a giant rock smashes you to bits.  I like predictability in my video games thank you very much.  But in both versions, shields!

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

10 hours ago, HDN said:

It's really just a competition between Hyperspace and Shields. Who uses flip? It's really kind of pointless.

That's a good point. But, didn't Asteroids Deluxe have the Shields instead? I don't remember if that came out before or after the 2600 port, but if it came before, that's pretty neat. Two arcade ports in one cart! That's ambitious for such an early 2600 game.

I'm not sure which came out first, but the shields work differently.  On Asteroids Deluxe, your shields cause you to bounce off the rocks (and it's pretty hard to control your ship).  On the 2600, the rocks pass right through you (much easier).  I agree that the flip is a choice no one made -- pointless. 

The VCS version of Asteroids was astounding when it came out.  I think it was the first game that was 8k (with bank switching).  It has every feature that the arcade game had (including similar sights and sounds).  We all accepted the solid rocks due to not having vector graphics at home.  Game #8 showcases something special - dozens of rocks flying fast around the screen smoothly with little flicker.  This was the Atari home division at it's very finest. 

I remember that moment I bought the game vividly, and that first play at home.  Truly one of my favorite childhood memories. 

I like the shields, VCS Asteroids with the multicolored asteroids and captivating Jaws theme is tremendously fun.  

I never knew about flip until now, I'll try that variation 🙂 

The Meteoroids prototype is also fantastic.

ATARI FLASHBACK BASIC! Make games for the AFP with awesome  graphics, animation and a built in tracker/sequencer! Compatible with all Atari consoles! The IDE is already installed on your PC! Atari Flashback BASIC is cross compatible with the SuperCharger too! :)

AFB games can be recompiled with no changes using the SuperCharger BASIC compiler, available at Relationalframework.com/vwBASIC

@RickR Asteroids Deluxe arcade came out first (March 1981).  VCS Asteroids came out a few months later (July/August 1981).

I remember getting the game and reading about the shield option and thinking the cart included both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe!  Which of course it doesn't, but it was neat to see that feature from Asteroids Deluxe included.  None of the arcade sequels (Asteroids Deluxe, Space Duel, Blasteroids) included hyperspace.  Shields was by far the superior feature of the two.