Squad Challenge - Gates of Zendocon (Atari Lynx)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Gates of Zendocon
Atari Lynx
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default "BASE" Game, Difficulty B (Press B To Start)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST September 30, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between September 15th through September 30th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Gates of Zendocon by pressing the "B" button to start, which puts us on the "Hard" difficulty level of challenge, and begins the game at the default universe "BASE". 

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 108th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of my favorite EPYX launch titles for the Atari Lynx - Gates of Zendocon! Will you survive Zendocon's challenge? You must survive! Your reward for success is the chance for sweet revenge - a duel to the death with the evil spider himself! Gates of Zendocon blew me away when it was first released in 1989, it looked stunning and played smoothly. I love how there is so much room to move up and down in the playfield. It's a tremendous side scrolling shooter, and the addition of portals, uniquely themed universes and gross bosses make this game stand out. (With a more detailed screen, its games like Zendocon that make me feel like the Lynx could've held its own as a full-fledged console that could connect to a TV the way the Nintendo Switch does today.) We're starting at the default universe (BASE) and playing on "Hard" difficulty, which can be achieved by beginning your game at the title screen by pressing the "B" button (Press B To Start). ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We're in the home stretch, wrapping up our supreme lineup of games for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

October: A TurboGrafx-16 game

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Gates of Zendocon.pdf Gates of Zendecon.lnx

16 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Just a reflection that choosing the "right" pathway makes all of the difference in score attainment. I played a few rounds this morning trying different gates and was absolutely annihilated. 

It's also cool that you can use the base codes to practice more difficult levels. 

That's really good advice 🔥

Gates of Zendocon is truly one of the best titles on this system, and I believe one of the finest portable handheld titles of its era. Still working on my score!

My new High Score: 2,169,200

IMG_4557.JPG