Best Sci-Fi series of all time?

- Ω -

I haven't seen too many sci-fi series, but this year, I've become a Trek fan, or dare I say, a Trekkie 🙂 Previously, I was a Star Wars fan all the way, but with the disappointment that was the Skywalker saga episodes 1-3 and 7-9, my eyes wandered. For 2021, I had set a goal of watching the original Star Trek series (I'm almost done), and I've been very impressed with the series vision and its stories.

When I was a kid, I found Star Trek boring -- not enough phasers and battles and way too much talking. Now? I understand its popularity and have become a fan. I'm even brave enough to consider giving Star Trek The Motion Picture a second watch 🙂 I saw it in the theater as a kid and went in expecting something along the lines of Star Wars, and boy was I wrong. I'm sure it's a much better movie than my kid brain could appreciate.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Star Trek and I've seen every episode of every series except Discovery which I detest, but I digress.  Over all B5 seemed to be going someplace and had three distinct segments, beginning, middle and ending to the series.  Sure, they had a few stinker episodes, but what series doesn't?  In the end, there were a couple of loose ends in B5, but for the most part they tied it up pretty well.  So "OVER ALL", I had to pick B5.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Star Trek DS9

I agree with this.  It's the greatest Star Trek show IMO.  

8 hours ago, socrates63 said:

I'm even brave enough to consider giving Star Trek The Motion Picture

I'll be interested to see what you think.  I'm a huge Star Trek fan and that movie just makes me sad.  It's completely the wrong tone and they forgot about what made Star Trek so great (adventure, fun, thought-provoking stories, and color).

18 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Babylon 5

I will admit that I gave up on B5 after just a few episodes of season 1 back when it was new.  I didn't get it and I had babies at home that took up all my time.  But maybe it's time to revisit the show.  Your recommendation is appreciated.  Do you happen to know if it's on any streaming service?

This got me to thinking about Star Trek movies and how a lot of them were a different type of Star Trek that didn't capture the original concept.  It felt like any time they had a writer and/or director that had "never watched Star Trek", they didn't get it quite right.  

Star Trek IV came closest.  Star Trek VI is one of my favorites.  Star Trek II gets a lot of credit for saving the series.  For the Next Gen, "First Contact" is outstanding.  

I had been going through each Star Trek movie with my 22 year old son (who had never seen them) and we stopped after IV.  He thought it was too campy, and I had no argument for his perspective.  I didn't have the heart to subject him to V.  At some point, we'll take it back up with VI, but I think he's lost interest.   We are watching TNG together as time permits (we're on season 4), and he digs that show a lot.  

If we are merely talking Star Trek, I'll have to go with TNG.  Of the movies, I've rather forget "The Motion Picture", and of course Star Trek V.  

Now of the short shorts, this is my favorite...

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I've seen that before.  LOL

Every time there is a new version of the Enterprise that is supposed to be of the original design, people always try to make a video fixing it.  I particularly like this one because it shows the original design works well even today if the lighting and details are simply done with today's aesthetics.

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Years ago Robert Wise did a Director's Cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture that was released circa 2001 on DVD.  I always preferred II and VI until this version came out.  For me, it's the best Star Trek movie and I think perfectly bridges the tone of TOS and TNG. It's a thinker. I also prefer the uniforms here vs. those from Wrath of Khan onward. 

It might be sacrilege to say so, but these days my favorite Trek is honestly Discovery and Picard. 🖖

10 hours ago, RickR said:

I will admit that I gave up on B5 after just a few episodes of season 1 back when it was new.  I didn't get it and I had babies at home that took up all my time.  But maybe it's time to revisit the show.  Your recommendation is appreciated.  Do you happen to know if it's on any streaming service?

Not that I'm aware of, ripped mine from my DVD collection and put them on a couple of 8TB hard drives as backup in case one drive fails.  I honestly don't like to mess with DVD's.  I have drawers of Stargate(s), B5, and a ton of others that never see the light of day anymore.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

4 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

Years ago Robert Wise did a Director's Cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture that was released circa 2001 on DVD.  I always preferred II and VI until this version came out.  For me, it's the best Star Trek movie and I think perfectly bridges the tone of TOS and TNG. It's a thinker. I also prefer the uniforms here vs. those from Wrath of Khan onward. 

It might be sacrilege to say so, but these days my favorite Trek is honestly Discovery and Picard. 🖖

That Director's Cut is currently being upgraded to 4K for a Blu-Ray release.  That, I will be getting.

Nothing wrong with liking Discovery or Picard.  I like both shows myself. 

B5 is on HBO+, I understand. 

Edited by TrekMD

I also like both Disco and Picard.  Although Disco has a few "lets pretend that didn't happen" moments <*cough* turbolift shaft *cough*>.  It isn't too unprecedented...<*cough* Spock's Brain *cough*> and <*cough* TNG stereotyped space Irish *cough*>  🙂  

I also agree that the Director's cut of TMP is a huge improvement. 

I don't have HBO+, but my local library has B5 DVD's.  I'll go that route.  Thanks!

Well, that is cool.  Here is something else cool and rather unique since the person who created the show is rebooting his own show:  'Babylon 5' is getting a reboot Best of all, series creator J. Michael Straczynski is attached to the project.

By the way, only thing I'd do different to the Enterprise shown on that video is giving it a light blue glow behind the deflector.

Edited by TrekMD