Squad Challenge - "Ultimate" Missile Command (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

"Ultimate" Missile Command
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Game 16, Difficulty A
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 1st through October 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

"Ultimate" Difficulty Level

We are playing "Ultimate Missile Command" using Game 16, Difficulty A. These settings provide for the most advanced, challenging level of gameplay with increased speed, Fast Target Control, Smart Cruise Missiles, and begins the game on Wave 15. Games that start at a high Wave Number are fast in the beginning and progress even faster with each Wave.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 109th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're remixing one of the most epic Atari classics imaginable - applying "Ultimate" settings to Missile Command on the Atari 2600 the same way we've applied "Ultimate" settings to Asteroids and Yars' Revenge before! We're getting out of our comfort zone and playing "Ultimate Missile Command" using Game 16, Difficulty A - settings that provide for the most advanced, challenging level of gameplay with increased speed, Fast Target Control, Smart Cruise Missiles, and begins the game on Wave 15. Games that start at a high Wave Number are fast in the beginning and progress even faster with each Wave. Do you have what it takes to survive this vicious onslaught and save your costal cities? Or will you live just long enough to see the end of the world. Missile Command became an Atari arcade smash hit, even taking a starring role as the last thing on screen in the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High. and also made a memorable appearance in Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Missile Command was released for the Atari 2600 in 1981 and for decades has been one of the most beloved video games of all time. Sometimes playing on default settings can get a little old, so we try to invent fresh approaches to playing these classic 2600 titles. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: We're in the home stretch, wrapping up our supreme lineup of games for High Score Squad in 2021! Expect a nice mix of classic Atari home console games in the rotation along with games from other classic systems! Here's a look at some upcoming events:

November: A Sega Genesis game, plus a game for TurboGrafx-16

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Missile Command.pdf Missile Command.BIN

👆 Also a special "THANK YOU" from Team Atari I/O goes out to one of our most vocal champions @RickR for really going above and beyond in getting the word out and inviting new friends to play in High Score Squad recently. And also to @Sabertooth, @Marco1019, @Atari Creep and many others for sharing High Score Squad and Atari I/O in their videos and livestreams. It makes a HUGE difference!! ☺️ 🔥 🔥

IMG_2323.JPG.e7aeb8e1bca1cc0b25aceee71c657010.JPG

whoa, brutal

I think I only ever played level 1 on "b"eginner difficulty BITD, mostly 'cause my game selector switch was broked (I did keep a butter knife on top of the TV)

To get to level 16, I held both the game selector switch & the game start switch down and it cycled through the levels super quick ! (like Space Invaders)

1 hour ago, Justin said:

WOW @Marco1019 incredible scores!!! You're playing Game 16 Difficulty A? This game is BRUTAL on those settings!! 🔥

Yes, 16A. The game plan is to protect one city only. I do try to save a few cities on the first wave in order to score a few more bonus points, but it's one city after that. Plus. you can only spray three missiles at a time (unlike the arcade version) so it's best to be judicious.

1 hour ago, Marco1019 said:

Yes, 16A. The game plan is to protect one city only. I do try to save a few cities on the first wave in order to score a few more bonus points, but it's one city after that. Plus. you can only spray three missiles at a time (unlike the arcade version) so it's best to be judicious.

Incredible!! 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Marco1019!

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on becoming our new "Ultimate" Missile Command Champion! Marco absolutely knocked it out of the park with his Missile Command score of 75,930 points played on the most difficult settings imaginable! I took 2nd Place in our Final Standings with a score of 26,120. @chas10e had a tremendous showing and takes 3rd with a hard-fought score of 16,170 points! "The Don" @RickR was hot on his tail with an even 15,000 points. @Gianna rounds things out with 3,335 points taking 4th place. 

Congratulations to @Marco1019 on his decisive win, and be sure to check out his Twitch show "Retro With Marco" every other Tuesday night at 9PM EST! Also, a huge THANK YOU to everyone whose been getting the word out about our community and inviting others to join us in High Score Squad! Participation in this Squad Challenge was pretty low for such a "pillar title" of a 2600 game, let's all do what we can to invite others to join us in our Squad Challenges to keep them fun and vigorous! As always I'd like to encourage @Marco1019 to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to everybody here for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope you had a great time taking on the ultimate challenge of Missile Command on Atari 2600!

COMING UP: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is an intense one for the TurboGrafx-16! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_ultimate_missile_command.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

10 hours ago, RickR said:

Nice job, @Marco1019.  That is one hard variation of Missile Command and you dominated.

I kept thinking while playing how the media was going to lambaste my @ss for such incompetence in defending our cities.  Sorry about that, Earthlings! 

I thought you would have tried harder seeing all the cities were on the West Coast.

I pretty must plateaued at the score I had. plenty of "bad games" where everybody dies on the first screen

Repo Man.jpg