Sometimes classic stuff has some major drawbacks.

- Ω -

When I was a teenager, well young at least, I bought a Realistic APM-200 audio power meter at Radio Shack... because it "looked cool".  Over the decades I've had many different stereos, but only one power meter to which I've become rather attached.  Problem is, one of the bulbs gave out yesterday and an unproductive Internet search for a replacement bulb has not been going well.

E0lVIJe.png

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

7 minutes ago, RickR said:

On old equipment, the only way to find the correct part is to take it apart and take out the old bulb as a reference.  Of course, you have to decide first if it's worth the effort and risk (of damaging the unit). 

Yeah my Internet Fu is not up to the task, I tried to find a service manual, and I couldn't find any type of manual for the APM-200 Catalog #42-2102.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

8 hours ago, RickR said:

On old equipment, the only way to find the correct part is to take it apart and take out the old bulb as a reference.  Of course, you have to decide first if it's worth the effort and risk (of damaging the unit).

Agreed! This has worked for me both with vintage tech and vintage cars as well 🧠

10 hours ago, RickR said:

Maybe this video will help.  It isn't your exact power meter, but it does show how the bulbs are mounted in most of the old meters like that.

I'll probably take it apart in a week or two.  I've been unable to obtain any information on the required bulbs.  At this point I don't even know the voltage requirement, or what type of connector they have or if they need to be soldered in place.  If it turns out there are "No Serviceable Parts Inside", I might see if I can mod it, otherwise it'll be the trash can.  For now my brothers house is closing and I have to get everything out so no time to mess around with it now.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

22 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

I'll probably take it apart in a week or two.  I've been unable to obtain any information on the required bulbs.  At this point I don't even know the voltage requirement, or what type of connector they have or if they need to be soldered in place.  If it turns out there are "No Serviceable Parts Inside", I might see if I can mod it, otherwise it'll be the trash can.  For now my brothers house is closing and I have to get everything out so no time to mess around with it now.

Don't toss it!  I can almost guarantee the bulbs are replaceable.  It's just a matter of taking it apart carefully, finding the bulb, and then finding something similar on-line (or in my toolbox 🙂

How cool would it be to replace the bulbs with LED's?  I've done that in a car (dash lights) and it's a really nice upgrade. 

Good luck with the house closing.  Not an easy thing to do.  Take care of yourself.