Squad Challenge - Soldier Blade 5-Min Run (TurboGrafx-16)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Soldier Blade 
TurboGrafx-16
Controller: TURBOPAD / TURBOSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Challenge Mode: 5 MINUTE "Caravan" Game
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST October 31, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between October 15th through October 31st 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

"5 Minutes" Caravan Game Difficulty Level

:mac_alert: SELECT > CHALLENGE > RUN > SELECT > 5 MINUTES > PRESS RUN TO START

At the title screen press SELECT one time. The difficulty setting will change to CHALLENGE. Press RUN. A new title screen will appear for the Soldier Blade Challenge Stage. At this screen, press the SELECT button once more to choose the 5 MINUTES Game, then press RUN to start! 

We are playing Solder Blade on the 5 Minute Game Mode -- explained on page 12 of the Soldier Blade Instruction Manual, which you can find on slide 7 of the PDF File attached below.

Many Japanese shoot-'em-up games feature what is called a "Caravan" mode. Many times this is included as a Difficulty Setting in the game, but often is released as a "Special" or a "Caravan Game" on a separate cartridge. Caravan games are often developed as 2 minute and 5 minute speed runs for tournament play. Think along the lines of the special Nintendo World Championships NES cartridges that were slightly modified for short runs of popular games. It's essentially the same idea: offering a limited 5 minute speed run of an incredible game for the sake of friendly tournament competition.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 110th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're diving into the world of "Caravan" shoot-'em-ups on the TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine. Shoot-'em-ups are the system's strongest asset, and Soldier Blade is simply on of the best games on the system and one of the greatest shmups of the generation. We're playing Solder Blade on the "5 MINUTES" Game accessible in "CHALLENGE" Mode from the title screen -- Be sure to read the Squad Challenge Difficulty Settings carefully! You can find more about the "5 MINUTES" mode in the PDF Instruction Manual provided below. Soldier Blade delivers one of the most arcade-like experiences on the TurboGrafx-16 and takes the "Blazing Lazers" aesthetic to the next level. Soldier Blade was released in 1992 just in time for the Turbo Duo to be released in the United States. Soldier Blade and Blazing Lasers are some of my favorite games of all time, I'm hoping you enjoy this fun 5 minute speed run of one of the best TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine games of all time! If you have any questions regarding the 5 minute difficulty settings or emulation, please feel free to send me a PM and I will help you. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: Here's a look at what's coming up through the end of the year:

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Soldier Blade.pce Soldier Blade.pdf

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here are a few Pro-Tips for scoring big in Soldier Blade:

Read The Instruction Manual

The instructions for Soldier Blade give a comprehensive overview of the different elements of the game, enemies and bosses, weapons, and what they are used for. Spend 5 minutes reading the manual, it's helpful and the PDF is provided above.

Press SELECT to Adjust the Speed of Your Ship

For When you start your game you may feel like the ship is a bit sluggish. You can control the speed if your ship by pressing the SELECT button on your TurboPad Controller. The game gives you two speed options: LOW and HIGH. I prefer the increased speed - it allows me to fly my ship all over the screen quickly, shooting down enemies and scoring as many points as I can within 5 minutes.

Practice by Playing a Normal Game of Soldier Blade First

Soldier Blade is a beautifully detailed and challenging game! Definitely a title for TurboGrafx-16 to be proud of. You'll find that the 5 Minute "Caravan" Game is limited in more ways than just time. I found that practicing a "Normal" game of Soldier Blade has helped sharpen my skills and made me a better player in the 5 Minute Game.

Limited Weapons

The 5 Minute "Caravan" Game has limited weapons. It appears to limit you to the use of the standard "Cluster" weapon and disables the "Super Shells", released by pressing Button 1, entirely.  You'll have to rely on your wits to survive!

3 hours ago, btbfilms76 said:

Round 2 - let’s get it! How does this 8bit game look like a Neo Geo game?

92AED051-261E-4836-8202-567E4E05ECC1.jpeg

Killer score @btbfilms76 awesome to see you jumping in this Squad Challenge!

3 hours ago, RickR said:

I plan on getting involved in this later this coming week. 

Great to hear that, looking forward to playing with you @RickR! Enjoy your trip

17 minutes ago, btbfilms76 said:

Let’s get it dude! 

LEEETTTTSSSSSSS GGGOOOOOOOO‼️ :wreck-it-ralph:

8 minutes ago, RickR said:

This game is awesome!  So satisfying to blow everything up.

soldier blade 001.JPG

Awesome to see you jump in this High Score Squad Challenge @RickR!! I've loved the TurboGrafx-16 and Turbo Duo since they were new. Like with Lynx and Jaguar, I always felt like one man in a small club. TurboGrafx was such an unappreciated system. Only in recent years when collectors found it and realized how great some of the games were did it start to gain a decent following. (Unfortunately that also made the prices ridiculously expensive). 

I'm glad you purchased a TurboGrafx-16 and are able to participate in these Squad Challenges! My heart will always belong to my first love -- Blazing Lazers -- but Soldier Blade builds on that and takes the genre to a new level! Also the 5-Minute "Caravan" game makes Squad Challenges much easier!

I'm glad you're enjoying this game! Good luck on your next high scores! 🙂

8 minutes ago, RickR said:

The issue is I haven't figured out how to defeat that boss at the end.  I'll keep trying.

Get nose to nose with him and do the dance back and forth so that you're inside his "arms of fire" but don't totally crash into him. Once you blow away the front you can shoot inside and destroy the boss :wreck-it-ralph: