Miitomo!

Gianna

I don't see anything on here about Miitomo, so I thought I would share 🙂

Miitomo was an app that involved, as maybe suspected from the name, Miis. I downloaded this app when it was released, and thought it was pretty neat! Unfortunately Miitomo was quite short lived, lasting from 2016 to 2018. It was simple and there wasn't much to it, which caused those who downloaded the game to not hold much interest. Within this app you created a Mii of yourself. You would answer random questions about yourself and connect with other friends. The Miis of your friends would read aloud answers they had to different questions. But, this concept just didn't hold the interest of those who played, and after efforts to enhance the app that did not work too well, it was discontinued.

I thought it was cool to have an app by Nintendo that involved Miis, and to this day I still kind of wish it was still around as I did enjoy playing it every now and then. Plus, who doesn't like Miis?

Here is the trailer and a short video if anyone is interest:

1 minute ago, Gianna said:

Yes! From what I remember, and I could be wrong, it didn't seem to be promoted or shown anywhere, or really even talked about  😞 

@Gianna When Nintendo first ventured into mobile apps I remember two games being announced as their first releases -- Pokémon Go, and one other title that I didn't recognize. Was Miitomo the other?

56 minutes ago, Gianna said:

I downloaded this app when it was released, and thought it was pretty neat! Unfortunately Miitomo was quite short lived, lasting from 2016 to 2018.

This is the sad problem with games as mobile apps, and my biggest concern with not having physical media (cartridges or discs) going forward. You can download a game, really enjoy it, and maybe it becomes your "favorite". Then randomly one day it's gone. Unplayable. No longer a thing. ZAP! Like it never existed at all!

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

This is the sad problem with games as mobile apps, and my biggest concern with not having physical media (cartridges or discs) going forward. You can download a game, really enjoy it, and maybe it becomes your "favorite". Then randomly one day it's gone. Unplayable. No longer a thing. ZAP! Like it never existed at all!

So true. 

Or some marketing wise-guy decides to "re-release" it on modern systems for a fee.  And again, no physical media so it can disappear again. 

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

So true. 

Or some marketing wise-guy decides to "re-release" it on modern systems for a fee.  And again, no physical media so it can disappear again. 

I'm willing to accept the lack of physical media when it comes to mobile apps on my phone -- but they have to meet me halfway and not build something spectacular, as Nintendo typically does, and then take it away from us in under two years. That's nonsensical whiplash. 🤯

I think what contributed to Nintendo shutting down Miitomo was the little forum area within the game. Later on in the game's life, public questions would be posted where anyone could participate and answer. In Nintendo games like Mario Kart, you’re given a limted selection responses to choose from, such as “Let’s go!” or “Great game!” but in Miitomo that wasn’t the case, it left room for anyone to say anything. The threads would often get out of hand and ultimately may have also been a big contributing factor to the app's shutdown.

2 minutes ago, Gianna said:

I think what contributed to Nintendo shutting down Miitomo was the little forum area within the game. Later on in the game's life, public questions would be posted where anyone could participate and answer. In Nintendo games like Mario Kart, you’re given a limted selection responses to choose from, such as “Let’s go!” or “Great game!” but in Miitomo that wasn’t the case, it left room for anyone to say anything. The threads would often get out of hand and ultimately may have also been a big contributing factor to the app's shutdown.

Oh my.  I can imagine. 

8 hours ago, Justin said:

:nintendo_mario_dr_mario:

Now it looks like Nintendo shut down Dr. Mario World on October 31st, 2021. I don't like how quickly these games come and go and can never be played again. I'm still enjoying the same Dr. Mario cartridge I got for my birthday in 1990. SAD!

IMG_9218.PNG

I did know even know about this! 🤯

On 10/29/2021 at 11:51 AM, Justin said:

That happened to a game my wife and I enjoyed called Car Town.  I still have the downloaded portion of the game on my first tablet (KitKat) but the game no longer loads.  Sadly physical games may not be immune either.  I was excited to finally get Battleborn for my XBOX One.  Had been wanting it since its release.  Not even a year of owning it,2K and Gearbox turned off the game's servers.  Not even the single player mode works.  It's really a dead game.  I have a physical game that no longer works.  Lukie Games still sells the game but claims the game no longer works and is considered just a collection piece.  Things like this make owning games that don't have any kind of internet abilities seem like a no brainer.

I really wish these companies would have stopped to consider the consequences of making these games more online influenced.  People pay a lot of money for those games and expect them to be there when the urge comes along to at it.  There's not a whole lot of XBOX One games that would work, digital or physical, if the internet suddenly disappeared.  They also won't play DVDs unless your machine has internet access.  Any game from Games with Gold or digitally purchased will not unless there is some kind of internet access to a live account.  

As much as I like the XBOX One and it's franchise as a whole the 360, and it's PS3 rival, seem to have been the last of the stand-alone gaming systems.  I'm surprised XBOX still gives online support for the 360.  I hope that never stops.

16 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

My wife and I have Miitomo accounts but we no longer have the app.  Is it still available at all?

Unfortunately no, I checked when I created this post to see if the app was still around and nothing came up in the App Store 🙁