Squad Challenge - "Progressive" Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

"Progressive" Super Breakout
Atari 2600
Controller: PADDLE / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: PROGRESSIVE BREAKOUT Game 7, Difficulty A
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 14, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 1st through November 14th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

"Progressive" Difficulty Level

We are playing "Progressive" Super Breakout by selecting Game 7 with the Select switch, and setting Difficulty Switches to "A".

The difficulty switches control the size of the paddle, the "A" position is for experienced Super Breakout players and makes the paddle half the standard size. Game 7 is "Progressive" Breakout and the playfield is set up somewhat differently than standard Breakout. When the game begins, the playfield contains four rows of bricks at the top of the screen, followed by four blank rows, and then four more rows of bricks. The point value of the bricks is defined by row numbers, the same as in Breakout. After game play beings, the brick walls "progress" toward the bottom of the screen. As the bricks are knocked out and the walls progressively move down toward your paddle, new bricks enter the playfield at a progressively faster rate! Four rows of bricks are always separated by four rows of blanks. As the brick walls progress downward, their colors change, which gives them a new point value. The maximum score for Progressive Super Breakout is infinite!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 111th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're going back almost to the dawn of video gaming, with Super Breakout on the Atari 2600! Super Breakout is one of my all time favorite video games, and possibly the definitive paddle game on the Atari 2600 along with Warlords. We're adding a twist to this High Score Squad Challenge by playing Game 7 Difficulty A for possibly the most challenging gameplay settings -- Progressive Breakout! Row after row of digital bricks tumble down on your paddle below! How far can you go? ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating!

NOTE: Here's a look at what's coming up through the end of the year:

November: A Sega Genesis game

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

SuperBreakout.binSuperBreakout.pdf

large.THE_BIG_TIP_OFF-A.gif

Here's a real Pro-Tip for scoring big in Progressive Breakout:

Special Progressive BONUS

When a brick progresses to the last row at the bottom of the screen (which places it very close to your paddle), it will stay there for a specified amount of time, and then disappear. If you hit such a brick squarely in the center -- before it disappears -- you may receive special bonus points to increase your score!

Practice by Playing a Normal Game of Breakout First

You'll find that even if you're an experienced Breakout player, if you haven't played in a long time it helps to warm up with a few "normal" rounds of Breakout first. Taking the time to get your bearings, getting the feel of the Paddle, and the angle the ball rebounds off different parts of the paddle -- all helps to make you a better player and sharpen your skills for moving up to a more advanced level of relentless gameplay in Progressive Breakout.

🤣

17 hours ago, Justin said:

My New High Score: 564

IMG_9185.JPG

5 hours ago, Justin said:

A nice improvement!

My New High Score: 1,260

IMG_9236.JPG

WOW, you're progressively getting better !!! ( see what I did thar ? )

4 hours ago, RickR said:

This game is a lot of fun.  Does anyone else jump when the bricks move down and it makes that sound? 

I don't but I think it'd be great if you shot a video of YOU doing it 🤣

4 hours ago, Atari Creep said:

Looks like I need more practice. Didn't realize it has been that long since I last played. 

First score is 356

2600 Vader, original paddle.

Great to have you jump in this Squad Challenge @Atari Creep!! Thanks for getting the word out about High Score Squad to all your viewers. @Gianna is originally from Illinois and loves Portillos! I knew exactly what you were talking about the minute you brought them up 🌭