Squad Challenge - "Progressive" Super Breakout (Atari 2600)

Justin

10 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Thanks, but I'll pass this time.  For the record I'm using McAfee and it goes totally Ape on the PDF.

McAfee-02.PNG.0ade84f961c75799da39a954876322a5.PNG

I've never trusted McAfee.  In the past it blocked installation of most of my disk (floppies and optical) from installing.  Norton did a similar thing.  Come to think of it, I haven't found a single anti-virus program I have liked except for Avast. But the constant pop ups from the free version got to be too often to try to get you to buy add ons.  Windows Defender, so far, I'm OK with.  I've not had any trouble with it.  To each their own.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I've never trusted McAfee.  In the past it blocked installation of most of my disk (floppies and optical) from installing.  Norton did a similar thing.  Come to think of it, I haven't found a single anti-virus program I have liked except for Avast. But the constant pop ups from the free version got to be too often to try to get you to buy add ons.  Windows Defender, so far, I'm OK with.  I've not had any trouble with it.  To each their own.

I hear ya!  McAfee did the same thing to me when it was time to renew and plastered a big box in the lower right hand corner when I was recording something.  Maybe I'll switch to something else when it comes up for renewal again in 689 more days.  In the meantime I'm going to have to live with the motto, "better safe than sorry" to make myself feel better.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Here's a link to a text version of the manual:  https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=527

Also, here's a RickR concise version of the manual:  Hit the ball with the paddle. 

And finally, here's an online emulator -- you can play the game in your browser:  http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Super_Breakout

On 11/12/2021 at 9:16 PM, greenween said:

Finally hit 1,000! I'm loving this variation! No getting stuck with that last block you just can't get. I never thought I'd be spending hours playing Super Breakout again. 🙂

252444898_1262629904249048_3701044077302672954_n.jpg

251847594_449055970266726_169800343714693536_n.jpg

That is an interesting fact of this variation that rather quickly more bricks arrive and don't have to cycle around the screen to hit "That last brick"

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations chas10e!

Congratulations to @chas10e on becoming our new "Progressive" Super Breakout Squad Champion! Chas10e hit a home run with his stellar score of 1,919 points! Absolutely killer score and a decisive win! And a big congratulations to everybody on all those incredible scores across the board! Awesome to have so many of you jumping in and participating in this Challenge for one of the most epic Atari 2600 games ever. My score of 1,526 points secured the 2nd Place in our Final Standings for "Progressive" Super Breakout. @AtariSphinx was hot on my tail with a sizzling score of 1,424 points, taking our 3rd Place spot, and @RickR was right behind him taking 4th Place with 1,408 points. I was thrilled to see we had really tremendous participation for this Squad Challenge! @Atari 5200 Guy @greenween @Dinobot711 @Sabertooth @Gianna @Atari Creep and @TrekMD all joined us in our "Progressive" Breakout Squad Challenge and shared terrific high scores!

Also, this week we welcomed back the "Original Mayor" of Atari I/O and absolute High Score Squad legend @greenween who joined us for this Challenge! Old-timers may remember @greenween is an "I/O OG" who joined us in the Summer of 2014 along with @RickR @Sabertooth @Atari Creep and a few others who were active as soon as the new Forums went online, and became the heart of the party in the chat and in our earliest Squad Challenges. It's great to have you participating in High Score Squad @greenween!! Everybody's glad you're here! WELCOME!!

Our new Achievement Badges have been a real hit in the forums. Each one of you have now been awarded the "Paddle Squad" Badge for playing in a Paddle Squad Challenge! We will hand these out occasionally as "nerd cred" for playing in special events! Also, another Badge has been created for when you win a Paddle Squad challenge -- the "Paddle Champ" Badge! Each of these badges are handed out one time to each player the first time they play in a Paddle Squad Challenge or win 1st Place in our Final Standings.

As always I'd like to encourage @chas10e to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to Chas, and a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing "Progressive" Super Breakout!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is for the Sega Genesis Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_progressive_super_breakout.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Thank you for the kind words Justin! 🙂 Congrats to everyone! This was a lot of fun. So much negativity on social media these days, this group is a relaxing, peaceful place to spend my time. Seeing the OG folks and all the new faces here is awesome. Looking forward to some Wed. night chats as well. 

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

22 hours ago, greenween said:

Thank you for the kind words Justin! 🙂

Of course! It's great to have you in Squad, @greenween!! 

Congrats to everyone! This was a lot of fun.

:wreck-it-ralph: :nintendo_mario_1up: 🍻

So much negativity on social media these days, this group is a relaxing, peaceful place to spend my time.

EGGGSSSSAACTTTLLLYY what we set out to build! A nice place to hang out and chill at the end of the day, surrounded by likeminded friends who "get it"

Seeing the OG folks and all the new faces here is awesome. Looking forward to some Wed. night chats as well. 

That's what it's all about! Let's make it happen ☺️

22 hours ago, RickR said:

That was a fun one, and I think I have a new favorite variation of Super Breakout!

So glad to hear that @RickR!! It's been fun trying out new game variations of tried-and-true games 👍

Thank you for hosting, and great job to @chas10eand everyone else!

🥳

Oh, and I think we should add +1000 to @TrekMD's score for passing his board exams!

Absolutely! Congrats to our doctor on board @TrekMD :nintendo_mario_dr_mario:

I find these old games to be good stress relief.  So thankful to have this outlet. 

That's a nice observation. I never really thought of it like that, but I think these style games can have tremendous potential for stress relief. I play classic games almost exclusively. I think maybe subconsciously this is one reason why! And why we try to make Atari I/O a fun and stress-free experience for all!

1 hour ago, chas10e said:

Wow , thanks everybody , when I first posted the score I thought it'd be topped , then I couldn't reach it again.

You had a heck of a score @chas10e!! When you first put up that score I thought "Yeah I think I can beat that". Boy I was wrong!

34 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Congratulations to @chas10e for the win and everyone who participated! It is a really fun variation of Super Breakout! 

Cheers to all!! :Nolan_Bushnell: