FS: Low Cost high performance Hard Disk unit for Atari ST/E

masteries

Low cost Hard Disk interface compatible with Atari ST family computers,
and tested on a 520ST TOS 1.04, 1040STFM TOS 1.04, 1040STE TOS 1.06, 1040STE TOS 1.62 and 1040STE with TOS 2.06; with ok results.

Performance: Around 1 MB/s Read, 650 KB/s Write

Operation video,

A video from the user PSIQ, many thanks!

Writing and reading from the hard disk interface:

On the last video, a game running from hard disk is shown; with "/" key, a savestate is created. After successful hard disk file writing, the game is closed pressing "*" key, and the STE system returns to desktop. A copy of the generated GS00.TOS file is created, renaming it to GS01.TOS; finally the game is resumed loading the copy of the savestate, GS01.TOS . All these operations are performed correctly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

attachment.php?attachmentid=55031&d=1652

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

Each unit is completely built and tested,
price is 36€ + tracked shipment (6.50€ for Spain or 10.50€ for Europe; 10.50€ for  EE.UU. , 12€ for Japan and Australia, Canada and rest of the world).

Lower cost and better SD card compatibility than any Satan disk, and much lower price than UltraSatan.
Its the Atari ST hard disk suitable for the masses,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An update, about tested micro SD card brands and types:

-Micro SD cards that work ok:

Sandisk de 1 GB
Kingston 8 GB class 4
Kingston 4 GB class 4
Intenso 8 GB class 4
Intenso 16 GB class 6
Intenso 4 GB class 10
Intenso 8 GB class 10
Kingston 16 GB class 10
Sandisk 16 GB class 6
Kingston 1 GB (tested by Shaoth)
Kingston 2 GB (tested by Shaoth)
Philips 64 GB UHS-1 A1 V10 Micro SDXC (tested by Shaoth)
Sandisk Extreme Plus 64 GB UHS-3 Micro SDXC (tested by Shaoth)
Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB UHS-3 Micro SDXC (tested by Shaoth)

-Micro SD cards that do not work:

Cloudisk 512 MB
No brand 4 GB
MediaRange 8 GB class 10
Sandisk 32 GB class 10 UHS 1 (most probably any UHS 1 will fail, due to these reject to operate in 1 bit mode)

Briefly, Sandisk, Kingston and Intenso are the preferred ones

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by masteries

Interesting. It costs about USD$50.00 then, which is quite cheap like you said. Fascinating stuff. Is there tax that needs to be added? Since most people here aren't European Union citizens, I assume there isn't any VAT added. But what about US taxes and tariffs? Are those applicable? Just curious. Thanks. :O)

Edited by DegasElite

On 11/8/2021 at 4:47 AM, DegasElite said:

Interesting. It costs about USD$50.00 then, which is quite cheap like you said. Fascinating stuff. Is there tax that needs to be added? Since most people here aren't European Union citizens, I assume there isn't any VAT added. But what about US taxes and tariffs? Are those applicable? Just curious. Thanks. :O)

Excuse me the delay...

I understand your worries,

Due to the low size and low weight; the envelope is small and I declare these with a value of 15€

However, with this price I can't asume your nation customs taxes, but many do not tax very small declares value such this device

Are you ready to acquire one of these?

On 11/8/2021 at 5:57 AM, RickR said:

It's so cool to see.  But I always have trouble with the complexity of these devices.  Is there any kind of guide for adding more software to the SD card after it's been imaged with the winflash utility?  That middle video mentions being able to download whatever you want, but not how to add it to the sd card. 

Yes, its very easy due to the deployed SD card image is readable under your Windows or Linux machine, as well in your Atari ST/E at once 🙂

You only need to use a SD card reader in the PC; its a FAT16 formatted card

As well, with the tracking number message I provide ready to use SD card images

1 hour ago, masteries said:

Excuse me the delay...

I understand your worries,

Due to the low size and low weight; the envelope is small and I declare these with a value of 15€

However, with this price I can't assume your nation customs taxes, but many do not tax very small declares value such this device

Not at present, but I am considering it. I have to think about it. It was a general question. Thanks. :O)

2 hours ago, masteries said:

Yes, its very easy due to the deployed SD card image is readable under your Windows or Linux machine, as well in your Atari ST/E at once 🙂

You only need to use a SD card reader in the PC; its a FAT16 formatted card

As well, with the tracking number message I provide ready to use SD card images

I'm thinking about it now.  I currently have a Gotek drive, which works fine for me.  I'm not sure what extra features this would have for me.

7 hours ago, RickR said:

I'm thinking about it now.  I currently have a Gotek drive, which works fine for me.  I'm not sure what extra features this would have for me.

If you use these devices for playing... with a hard disk you can save the game state at any moment, in order to continue playing when you want; for almost any game.

A feature hard to accomplish in a Gotek, due to Gotek is only a floppy replacement, with the limitations of floppy disk size.

There is a video of this feature of hard disk adapted games:

On 6/10/2022 at 6:05 AM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I will have to keep this in mind. I'm going to need some sort of hard drive abilities for my STE.

For your 4MB STE, instead use floppies, its much better to use a low cost high performance hard disk unit;

as well, the SD card is compatible with Atari ST/E and a PC at same time, the format is FAT16  🙂

On 10/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, Marcos Lima said:

High, I’m interested. Can you ship to France? Thanks, keep up the great work!

Greetings Marcos,

Thanks for your interest ans support!

Yes, tracked shipment to France is easier,

due to I am located in Spain 🙂

I sent a message to you with details,

Edited by masteries

On 11/3/2022 at 5:36 AM, Jinroh said:

Very cool @masteries, did you integrate a USB cable for +5V power into the design? 😄 That is the handy revision.

Yes, this simple addon is the solution for the power source compatibility problem.

As well, anyone with the minimal needed tools can add this USB cable,

in order to use any 5 volts power source 🙂

(current delivered units have this power cable)

Edited by masteries

On 11/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, DegasElite said:

Will this HDD interface work with a MegaSTE computer? I assume yes, and I am much obliged to hear more. I am still thinking about buying one, but not yet. Thanks. :O)

Yes it works with a MegaSTE computer,

If I remember well, @Jinroh has a MegaSTE, he can provide you with real experience feedback with Mega models,

On 11/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, masteries said:

Yes, this simple addon is the solution for the power source compatibility problem.

As well, anyone with the minimal needed tools can add this USB cable,

in order to use any 5 volts power source 🙂

(current delivered units have this power cable)

Very clever that is really handy for customers to use it very turn key. 😄

I luckily never had any problem with my power supply. 😄 So I thought it was very great from the first time using it. 🙂 Such a handy device.

3 hours ago, masteries said:

Yes it works with a MegaSTE computer,

If I remember well, @Jinroh has a MegaSTE, he can provide you with real experience feedback with Mega models,

Yes, I use on my Mega STe exclusively. 😄 The performance is very great, and I can run every program perfectly. I have had no problems. 🙂 It works perfectly for loading large programs like SCUMMVM-Lite and Wolfenstein 3D port.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021