Collected Everything for Atari 5200 - Now what?

- Ω -

1 hour ago, - Ω - said:

What do you do when you finally get all the (wanted) accessories, upgrades & doodads for your 5200?  It's so much fun being in acquisition mode, that when it's all over it's a little sad.  

Play.  Play and enjoy the games. 

I'm in the same mode, except that selling stuff off has been my priority.  Playing the games has been priority #2.  And I'm loving it so much. 

What's the point in obtaining video game goodness when you miss out on all that goodness if you don't 

... Sit...down...and...Play...with...them!?!  Might as well have pushed Q-Bert off the pyramid before you started playing with him.

Video games, the systems that plays them, and their accessories, were made for one reason and goal in mind; to be used.  So drag out what you have enjoy all the hard work in obtaining them.  I'm sure they would like to entertain you.

One thing I can suggest on the 5200 is the one game on the system that is an absolute classic. A masterpiece.  A top 10 hall of fame game.  But you have to spend a lot of time exploring all that it has to offer:

Star Raiders.

No other system of that era could do this game.  C64?  Nope.  Colecovision?  No way.  And the 5200 version is an improvement over the classic 8-bit version (it has bug fixes and analog controls).  Please give it a go.  You'll need the manual and an overlay.  Pretend you are your favorite Star Trek captain. 

I tend to overlook this one myself, as I'm so used to playing it on the 800XL instead.  But this one game makes the 5200 worthwhile all by itself. 

9 hours ago, RickR said:

Play.  Play and enjoy the games. 

7 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I'm with RickR.  You play it! 

5 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

... Sit...down...and...Play...with...them!?!

Well guys, that goes without saying, time willing. 

4 hours ago, RickR said:

And the 5200 version is an improvement over the classic 8-bit version (it has bug fixes and analog controls).  Please give it a go.  You'll need the manual and an overlay.  Pretend you are your favorite Star Trek captain. 

Sounds nice, but that one will have to be on the back burner for a while.  First, the new stick is digital, second if it needs a manual and overlay to play, it probably requires more time than I can devote to it at the present time.  

However if you link me to the .BIN and PDF (manual) I promise to look them over.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

@RickR Thanks, I downloaded the individual images and combined them into a PDF in case others would like to print it up.  It looks like crap on the screen, but if you print it up in "BOOKLET FORMAT" as shown below, it's usable.

669856660_StarRaidersPrinted.jpg.ba6ac9ae5f0d395c23fcc03d41f03130.jpg

5200 Star Raiders Manual.pdf

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Well after looking at the Star Raiders manual it certainly looks like an impressive game.  I think though that I'm going to have to design a template for my new joystick that I can laminate and use with this game.  Maybe something with two big holes to clear the knobs and folded at the bottom to go over the bottom side, which should hold it in place.  The final design could be in PDF format for anyone to print out the correct size.

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Looks good!  Once you've got that spacing down, nothing prevents you from making all the other overlays.  Nice work. 

The only other really complex overlay that I can think of is "Defender".  That one uses all but one button.  I know because that's the game I use most of the time to test the keypad on controllers I get in. 

The 5200 version of Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus were the main reasons I even got a 5200 in the early 2000s. Although on the case of Star Raiders I rarely even change my speed at all to play. So I mainly just use buttons 4,5, & 6. 

Especially true once you know the cheat for taking out the enemies when switching from the galactic chart to the fore view LOL! Makes needing to change speed seem much less required after that.

I also don't know if I have played it using a digital stick either... I own a redemption adapter along with a Wico keyboard command and use it along with a Genesis 3 button when I use the redemption. But I honestly don't know that I've tried to play Star Raiders with it. In fact, I rarely use the Redemption because I'm fine with the stock controllers in most cases.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Really easy to explain. It seems that when you switch from the galactic chart to the foreview, the enemy is always dead center initially in the view before moving. So if you basically fire off a shot while in galactic chart view and then switch to foreview just before the shot is done, you end up killing the enemy immediately. Then you switch back to galactic view...rinse/repeat.

I first learned of it here and I think @Scott Stilphen even mentions this on the old Digital Press website too?

https://www.atariage.com/software_hints.php?SoftwareHintID=152

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Star Raiders is an awesome game on the 5200 and is my all-time favorite game.  I've only played the game with standard controllers because that's all I have known.  I never knew Star Raiders has a cheat in it? 

I wouldn't really call it a cheat. More like an exploit of the programming. What I think happens is that when you are in the map screen, you can still more or less move around since stuff is still happening while the map screen is up. If the enemy is in front of your according to the scanner, then the system simply happens to redraw the enemy ship dead center in front initially when you switch back.

So again, I wouldn't call it an intended cheat. 

1 hour ago, Scott Stilphen said:

That was an old trick that spread around to Star Raiders fans BITD, and certainly predates DP.

FYI, DP hasn't been updated in 10 years.  My site (www.ataricompendium.com) has the most current info.

Good stuff, thank you:  http://www.ataricompendium.com/game_library/easter_eggs/a48/a48starraiders.html

On 11/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, - Ω - said:

What do you do when you finally get all the (wanted) accessories, upgrades & doodads for your 5200?  It's so much fun being in acquisition mode, that when it's all over it's a little sad.  

Well I've been to that bridge many times and I always seem to find something else to kick start 'acquisition mode'. I've also aquired all my (wanted) accessories, upgrades & doodads for the 5200 as well as the 7800 and now I'm off and running on a new TurboGrafx-16 adventure. The force of the nostalgia factor with the TG-16 is powerful with this one. In the early 90s, I zigged when everybody zagged and bought a TG-16 instead of the two status quo systems.

Edited by intellicolecovisonary

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT:
https://forums.atari.io/topic/6133-my-secret-identity-is-known-as-astomiman-destroyer-of-worlds/

8 hours ago, intellicolecovisonary said:

Well I've been to that bridge many times and I always seem to find something else to kick start 'acquisition mode'. I've also aquired all my (wanted) accessories, upgrades & doodads for the 5200 as well as the 7800 and now I'm off and running on a new TurboGrafx-16 adventure. The force of the nostalgia factor with the TG-16 is powerful with this one. In the early 90s, I zigged when everybody zagged and bought a TG-16 instead of the two status quo systems.

Yes, the Force is strong, but it all comes down to space, and the realization that even the space I have now will get even smaller in the not too distant future.  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Fortunately for me space is not an issue. I currently have 19 game systems permanently hooked up, a Vectrex, Intellivision II, Colecovision, 5200, 7800, NES, SNES, Genesis, Master System, TurboGrafx-16, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii. My 2nd story man tower is 740 sq ft with 4 CRT TVs, a CRT VGA monitor for my Dreamcast and a modern LED flat sceen for my PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii.

Edited by intellicolecovisonary

⚠️ THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THE FOLLOWING INCIDENT:
https://forums.atari.io/topic/6133-my-secret-identity-is-known-as-astomiman-destroyer-of-worlds/