Squad Challenge - Sonic Spinball (Sega Genesis)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Sonic Spinball
Sega Genesis
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: FAST
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST November 30, 2021

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between November 15th through November 30th, 2021. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

"FAST" Difficulty Level

OPTIONS > SPEED > FAST. We are playing Sonic Spinball on the "FAST" Difficulty Setting. To do this, select "OPTIONS" in the lower right corner of the Title Screen, then change "SPEED" to "FAST"

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 112th Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're playing one of the most fun games from the world of Sonic the Hedgehog! Sonic Spinball was released in 1994 during the height of the Sega Genesis and the raging 16-Bit Wars of the '90s! Sonic Spinball is an amazing twist, creating a "Pinball Platformer" with very unique gameplay! Whenever I play Jinks on Atari 7800 or hear it derided by critics, I always think of Sonic Spinball and how Sega "figured it out" and got it just right. I hope you guys enjoy Sonic Spinball on Sega Genesis! I always like to do at least one Sega Genesis game every year in High Score Squad, and Sonic Spinball will be a fun way to mix things up. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. Get those 3-button Control Pads out and warm up that Blast Processor! WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

NOTE: Here's a look at what's coming up through the end of the year:

December: 2021 F-ZERO Championship, plus a game for Atari Jaguar! 

Plus many more great games in 2022! (Schedule subject to change)

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Sonic Spinball.pdf Sonic Spinball.md

3 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I only have about five Genesis games and this is not one of them.  I'll just sit this one out and play the pinball section in Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast instead.  Love the NiGHTS table on that one.

Maybe you can find a way to emulate?

3 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

However I will join in on the F-Zero one.  

It's coming up soon! Might be a good time to get in some practice and sharpen those zero-gravity racing skills :wreck-it-ralph: 

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a Sega Genesis Squad Challenge!"

greenween was awarded the badge 'Genesis Squad' and 10 points.

Took about 5 attempts, finally cleared the first level and got the 3.5 million in the bonus round. Lost my last 2 Sonic's on level 2 without scoring a single point. LOL

254729275_1487059464982041_7143540875095419464_n.jpg

"Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Maybe you can find a way to emulate?

It's coming up soon! Might be a good time to get in some practice and sharpen those zero-gravity racing skills :wreck-it-ralph: 

The only way to DL anything is with my phone.  It's the only thing I have with outer world access.  Suggest a good emulator besides MESS and I'll try.

Practicing?  All my skills from the first time I played this game spiritually I still have.  Any objections to using my SNES F-Zero on my SFC? I really like that console better. The only thing is I have to take the cartridge out of its shell for it to fit.  Either that or I'll try to get a SFC version of F-Zero.  They are the same.

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a Sega Genesis Squad Challenge!"

Sabertooth was awarded the badge 'Genesis Squad' and 10 points.

5,427,500 on PS4 via the Genesis Classics collection. 

I have never played this game before! The challenge prompted me to grab the collection which has a VR mode. I'll have to check that out later this week or next. 

IMG_20211117_210525577.jpg

I feel awful about not getting in on this. Lots going on this month PLUS I knocked over a coffee into my Mac laptop when playing and fried it. ALL my emulations are gone so is the video I made. Now that it is over and I know my score wont count I got 8,550,000.

I have scaled back on what I have for a collection and relied on OpenEMU for too long. My bad guys but I have to say these scores are amazing. Now, on to the next one. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

46 minutes ago, Atari Creep said:

I feel awful about not getting in on this. Lots going on this month PLUS I knocked over a coffee into my Mac laptop when playing and fried it. ALL my emulations are gone so is the video I made. Now that it is over and I know my score wont count I got 8,550,000.

I have scaled back on what I have for a collection and relied on OpenEMU for too long. My bad guys but I have to say these scores are amazing. Now, on to the next one. 

I'm sorry to hear about your fried laptop.  That sucks!

I also feel a bit awful as I wanted to play this a lot more and at least complete one round of getting the crystals.  Work and other projects got in the way.  But I'm still going to give it a go when I have more time.

Thank you J -- this was an inspired choice for the high score deal. 

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Dinobot711!

Congratulations to @Dinobot711 on becoming our new Sonic Spinball Squad Champion! Dinobot711 scored the top spot on our Final Standings with 24,687,000 points! What a killer score, and @AtariSphinx was right on his tail -- almost beating him with a high score of 24,377,500 points to decisively take our 2nd Place spot! @greenween returns to Squad with an incredible 15,562,500 points to claim 3rd Place in our Final Standings. "The Don" @RickR takes 4th Place with 11,872,500 points, and @Sabertooth showed up with a solid 5,427,500 to take 5th Place! Thanks to everybody for joining in this Squad Challenge and sharing your terrific high scores!

Also, this week we once again welcomed back the "Original Mayor" of Atari I/O and absolute High Score Squad legend @greenween who joined us for this Challenge! Old-timers may remember @greenween is an "I/O OG" who joined us in the Summer of 2014 along with @RickR @Sabertooth @Atari Creep and a few others who were active as soon as the new Forums went online, and became the heart of the party in the chat and in our earliest Squad Challenges. It's great to have you back in the Forums participating in High Score Squad @greenween and as an active member of the community you helped influence from its earliest days! WELCOME!!

Also sad news about @Atari Creep's laptop which prevented him from joining us for this Squad Challenge. What is a Sega Squad Challenge without @Atari Creep!?! Hopefully this works out for the best soon.

As always I'd like to encourage @Dinobot711 to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to Dinobot, and a big congratulations to our community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing a game on Sega Genesis!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is for the Atari Jaguar! Be there!

large.final_standings_sega_genesis_sonic_spinball.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif