Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

8 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

How did you score the free shirt?!

I think because they had to cancel the 50 Year t-shirt order I had made (for one of the t-shirts).  They ran out of one of the designs.  Much to my surprise, I got this message from them:

Hi Eugenio,

We wanted to let you know we shipped out a Centipede Recharged Key Art T-shirt as a gift and it should arrive tomorrow via UPS, 1Z84WXXXX340185215. Thank you for being a loyal Atari fan and we hope you enjoy your new merch!

Atari Support

Edited by TrekMD

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I think because they had to cancel the 50 Year t-shirt order I had made (for one of the t-shirts).  They ran out of one of the designs.  Much to my surprise, I got this message from them:

This is straight up 100x better treatment than I received from Atari as a dedicated fan in 1993. I remember once I left Chip's Challenge in my pants pocket and it went through the washer and dryer twice. Popped it in my Lynx and it still played! Even the label stayed perfect.

I bought a disposable camera, took a picture, mailed it to Atari with a letter, and they could not have cared less. It was a very lonely thing to be an Atari gamer back then, you were pretty much left to your own devices.

I think it's a tremendous sign and very encouraging that Atari as they exist today sent @TrekMD a shirt, or that they even have a real support department. I haven't heard stories like these in decades.

We've had Tod Frye's and Gary Shannon's names attached to Aquaventure for years.  Reichert has been in contact with both of them for years.  The only mystery is, why is this currently newsworthy?  Apparently Reichert convinced the current Atari that this was some huge, unsolved mystery worthy of headlines.  Even the real mystery about Aquaventure getting lost in the corporate shuffle isn't much of a mystery.  Atari was pretty much in chaos by the end of 1982.  They had so many games and projects under development, and without any real leadership from Kassar or his underlings, they were literally and figuratively just running around in circles w/o any solid plan on how to recover.  Reichert should have been interviewing people he's talked to for the past 20 years, instead of focusing on getting prototypes from them and getting a few crumbs of info about them and running with it to brag about it as fast as possible.  He's always been someone who enjoys bringing attention to himself, and these articles are just another example of that.

Reichert also has the distinction of being the only person to be banned from the Classic Gaming Expo:

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?38373-The-Trouble-With-AtariAge-(drama-alert)

In the above thread, Santulli mentions Reichert trying several times to sneak into the alumni dinner at the 2004 show. I forgot about the whole 'sinister' drama posts Reichert made prior to the show that year! He came off like a damn terrorist, as if he was going to be carrying a bomb or something to the show.  

I was part of the staff and as such, I had the option to go to the alumni dinners, and didn't (I chose to spend Friday nights playing the arcade games on the show floor, since I had so little time for myself on Sat and Sun). The alumni dinners were the show's way of thanking them for coming and for all of their contributions to the video game industry. Any family members that came out to the show with them were of course welcomed to attend the dinner as well. There was a separate banquet room just down the hall from the show floor where the dinners were held. I know seating was always a balancing act because there were some 'cliques' that you wanted to make sure shared a table. For example, there were a few Atari cliques, and of course the Activision folks were their own clique. It was basically the high school lunch room all over again :) It wasn't as bad as say, "If any of these people sit next to Dave Crane, we might have a food fight", but the last thing you want to do is help to create a situation that causes some of them not to return. So once all of that was figured out, there'd usually be just enough tables and chairs for everyone (staff included), since they had to let the catering staff know how much food to provide. There was one door in and out of the banquet room, and there was always at least one staff member at the door to check and make sure only those allowed in got in (basically everyone with either an alumni or staff badge on them).

But then you had some knucklehead like Reichert deciding he was going to get in there. What he planned on doing, who knows, as there wasn't going to be an assigned seat with a meal waiting for him. Was he going to go around the room from table to table and start questioning the alumni about some game they made 30 years ago? Well, that's what the keynote speeches are for... right? Right. Not good enough for him, I guess. He couldn't wait 12 hours until showtime, so he made repeated attempts to get in the room. It was Santulli who eventually came over and made it abundantly clear to him not only was he not wasn't getting in to the dinner, that it would be the last CGE he'd get in, period. AFAIK he was the *ONLY* person to have been forcibly turned away from the banquet room. Anyone else who tried and were told why it was a 'closed' dinner understood it. In other words, normal-brained people got it. Reichert is not one.

Except that Matt was there at the 2010k even I know for a fact as he was assisting Al with the AA booth and somewhere he had his plexi cases up with his protos in it. Might have been loaned to the museum now that I think about it for the show. It was the last year I think AA was part of CGE though? I don't know for sure as I never attended CGE again beyond that. the 2010 event was the last one before I went to PRGE in 2018 and 2019. 

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

The last CGE I went to was in 2007 and he was still very much banned at that point.  Obviously it wasn't a lifetime ban (and I never said it was) if he was there in 2010.  Or perhaps he was there as part of AA's booth and the organizers decided to un-ban him?  Don't know.  You'd have to ask them.  Doesn't change the fact that everything I said about him being banned is correct.  I was there at the 2004 and was outside the alumni dining room and saw Santulli physically stop Reichert from trying to get in.

I was involved with CGE from 2000 to 2007, and the show was always run by the seat of their pants, and never made money. They didn't even have the venue for 2007 locked in until a few days before the show (because they failed to prepay for it)! I was out there in Cali with Hardie and saw first-hand him scrambling to make it happen. I was done with it after that.  The organizers sold it to someone (i.e. suckered someone) in 2013, who held it in 2014. The new owner redesigned the website and logo (which can be seen here: https://twitter.com/cgexpo). The show was never held again, and the website disappeared in 2016 or 2017. 

@Scott Stilphen I wasn't implying that what you said wasn't truth. I was only stating that Matt was present at the 2010 CGE. And yes I'm pretty sure here was there as part of the AA setup and booth. I've had a few dealings with Matt and he has been cool with me but it wasn't related to protos and was more about upgrades and services on his consoles.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

The above quote was taken from,  Make Use Of's latest article about the recent VCS OS update.

Mentioned is the release of a private beta heading out for selected developers to test game dev software on the VCS.

Hopefully this will not only be for modern VCS games, but also ATARI retro consoles such as the 2600, 7800, Lynx, and possibly/hopefully the ATARI Jaguar.

Here's a production update on the XP carts. The majority of materials have been recieved and are ready for assembly. Shipping is now expected in May for all pre-orders. Curiously, there are two PCBs: one for the Ltd  and one for the Std. The purpose and nature of the differences will be revealed later. I'm guessing a save feature. We shall see.

https://atarixp.com/blogs/discover

2 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

It looks like Limited Run will also serve as a distributor for the Ltd. Editions.

Lots of questions on this one floating around out there. The price for one being the most discussed aspect. I'm assuming LRG is only going to sell the collectors editions at the price they have listed. But it also calls to question about when the release of the standard edition and other pre-orders is going to happen? It seems odd for LRG to suddenly be offering and doing a run on these when Atari-XP hasn't even released their initial batch of the games from pre-orders last year?

In their last production update on March 29, Atari indicated they would be shipping preorders taken through the XP site in May.

My assumption is that this additional distribution through Ltd. Run will help clear the Ltd. Editions - 1983 ea. - and raise the profile of the project. Who knows where it goes if they are successful with it. We know the $99 Adventure release is coming.