Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

On 9/22/2022 at 11:05 AM, RickR said:

Beyond the production error and its solution, can I just say one thing?  These three games are AWESOME.  So much better than I was anticipating.  At $3 each for the digital versions on the Atari VCS, they are a total bargain.  I can't decide which one I like best.

Why pay for digital copies when these have been available online for free for years?  Are these cart versions different?

The comparison video 'Sabertooth' did of Saboteur doesn't show any noticeable differences.  I'm not aware of any bugs in the final version of that game.  I'm not aware of any glitches in the original prototype of Aquaventure, either.  Looking at the video Atari put out for Aquaventure, I don't see any differences with the colors, either (and this one definitely needs it with some screens).  As for Yars' Return, that game was a mess on the Flashback.  I know a fixed version was done and I'm guessing that's the version Atari is releasing now on cart.  But that was a homebrew and not a real prototype from the Atari/Warner days.  So what 'fixes' are supposedly being done with Crystal Castles and Haunted House? :)

I'm no expert.  But I believe Mockduck did a comparison of the different versions in his reviews.  

If the same ROMS are available for download, please link them here.  I'm sure others would appreciate it.  I've been having fun with all three games. 

Yars' Return was updated with additional fixes by Dennis Debro. It is available cart only at this time. The fixes are noted in this interview.

https://atari.com/blogs/atari/dennis-debro-shares-his-experience-working-on-yars-return

The other two games are the most complete versions of the ROMs. Saboteur is the same as the AA cart and is different than previous Atari compilations. I think the differences @Mockduck noted are down to the quality of the emulation in the VCS Vault and Antstream.

Digital downloads are in the modern VCS store.

I've heard of quite a few people still having lock issues and such with Yars' Return. I've not had any lockups, but I have had several odd glitches occur with mine that I do feel affect the game play. The worst of them is that it is very easy for Yar to just teleport through the walls protecting the quotile and I end up being trapped in the center with him. Yar doesn't die unless the quotile goes into his spinning launch mode. But it does make you have to scramble to start shooting quickly to get yourself out of the trapped area. 

This issue is made worse on levels with the moving blocks naturally. 

Another thing I don't understand about the game, is why there is a need for the blocks along the top protecting the quotile? It isn't like you can shot the zorlon cannon in an up/down fashion anyway, so yeah... I do not understand the reason for them.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

My replacement carts are on their way!

It will be worth the wait once you get them. Wait and see...

I've also heard that some folks have gotten notice about replacement manuals on the way too. I'm assuming to correct for the missing section that exists in at least the Aquaventure manual?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Strangely I've NOT gotten any notices about the manuals. Only the notice that my carts had shipped and been delivered. Nothing since. It isn't that big a deal but I did already replace the carts with the new ones that work and have the originals boxed back up an labeled ready to send back to Atari XP in Philly.

I'm kinda surprised there are folks that don't plan to send their originals back as they feel it is part of the story and collection of the games? Funny to hear these same folks get bent out of shape about the games now working and demanding Atari fix the issue and then also feel okay with keeping the buggered carts? I hope that Atari XP has their card info on file and charges those folks for at least the cost of the replacements and shipping. If they had given the option, that is one thing, but they specifically ask in the emails that we return the originals, and there is a letter in the box with the replacements asking again to send back the originals.

The recycle process is likely nothing more than gutting them open to reuse the shells in future releases and I think that is fine. The current Atari and their smaller companies they are working with, do at least appear to be trying and I can give them credit for that and I feel we can all do a small part to help. If they want the originals that don't work sent back, then I say do it. They provided better looking and working replacements, with some extra goodies we didn't have to pay for. The cost of the non working and ugly labeled originals they sent us going back to them, is a cost I'm happy to pay.

I wonder if it's Atari or their manufacturing partner that absorbed the cost of this debacle. Either way, it will surely result in improved QA/QC processes in both assembly a copy/proof approval.

Also, thanks for not spoiling the bonus goodies. I'm on the West Coast so I still haven't received my SE replacements from PA.

I had meant to post this here earlier and forgot. But here is an example of why I have NO problem sending them my original non working carts. In the pics below you can see that my originally received Saboteur has a nasty bubble line across the middle of it where the lamination layer didn't take well. If you look closely, you can see something similar around the edges of the label as well and all three of the originally received carts have something similar on them. The replacement on the right looks great and doesn't have any of these issues, plus it actually works.

OGvsNEW_Sabo_1.jpg.1a0a0965de129542e1eb9c21ad7db082.jpg

OGvsNEW_Sabo_2.jpg.1f733d351c249842877a111a3b38da8f.jpg

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

Thanks for sharing the side-by-side @CrossBow .  Fortunately, my originals weren't nearly that rough. It's amazing that Atari's manufacturing partner shipped anything like that out the door.

Well Saboteur was the worst of them. But they all have that odd light edging on them where the lamination layer is very obvious. This isn't seen on the newer labels. So yeah again, I've no issues with sending them back these sub part quality initial carts.

My current issue with both original and newer carts, is that there is some slop in the PCB because I have to kinda wiggle the cart when inserting it for it to actually seat and go into the slot properly. I don't seem to have this issue with other carts. But it is a minor thing.

I recieved my replacements late yesterday and opened them this morning. I'm happy with the resolution. I gotta say, the quality of the new cart labels is vastly superior to the originals. If anything, this unfortunate situation should improve the QA for all subsequent XP runs.

Anyway, good on Atari for making it right.