Atari XP Physical Releases - Atari Releasing New Atari 2600 Game Cartridges!

Sabertooth

Not to stir the pot or anything.  I saw the video and thought to myself "I thought we were supposed to keep that secret".  But I think we all know my memory and attention to detail are not what they used to be.  No ill intent meant for anyone. 

Anyway, I haven't even opened my games yet, although I've been meaning to.  My Phoenix is put away and I haven't had the time to get that set up yet due to work and other commitments. 

My replacement Aquaventure manual arrived the other day. It is funny because I doubled checked all of my emails from AtariXP and none of them mentioned the manual and only the replacement carts. So I'm not complaining just odd that I didn't receive an email regarding it being on the way or anything.

In other news, I shipped my original carts back to them on Saturday, and they were already delivered by Monday?! USPS has been on their game with my shipments lately. I shipped a console back out to its owner on Monday afternoon and the owner got it yesterday morning?! It wasn't supposed to be delivered until today, so quite impressive times. And that was from here in Oklahoma to Connecticut.

I need to look carefully at the replacement manual, because it actually seems like it it might be smaller and more cut down content wise than the original was? But I only took a cursory glance through the original. Enough to verify the missing page anyway in my original.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

18 hours ago, CrossBow said:

I shipped my original carts back to them on Saturday, and they were already delivered by Monday?! USPS has been on their game with my shipments lately

I shipped an ebay item media mail from Oregon to the east coast...and it arrived THE NEXT DAY!  Yes, USPS has been on a roll lately. 

Indeed.  Here's one I will never forget.  On the very same day and from the same post office in Miami, I shipped a package to South Korea and a package to Puerto Rico.  Can you believe that the package to South Korea got there BEFORE the package to Puerto Rico. Made no sense!

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Atari just announced a new 2600 cart for Mr. Run & Jump.  For those that don't know, Mr. Run & Jump is the new precision platformer coming to modern consoles, including the VCS. However, it started as a 2600 game by the lead dev that he was doing in his free time. Atari is releasing the 2600 game. The first Atari released original 2600 game since the early 1990s.

The XP cart with box and manual will be $59.99 and is available for order on July 31st!

20230613_075221.jpg

Screenshot_20230613_075945_Firefox.jpg

https://www.destructoid.com/atari-ceo-wade-rosen-talks-preservation-web3-and-the-future-of-retro/

Wade Rosen hints to the upcoming complimentary hardware in the interview and how it will make it easier to play 2600 cartridges:

“Our Atari XP cartridge business started off small and experimental, and the reception has been quite positive. There is a demand for the simplicity and skill-gating of retro hardware and software. As a result, we’re exploring ways to bring more cartridges to market, and to make it easier to play those cartridges. Stay tuned.”

Yes, John Mikula. He's the team lead on the modern game at Graphite Lab. Atari bought the IP and are publishing both modern and 2600 versions. The modern version is aces - I've played the Steam demo.

Not sure what's so bad about new original content? I mean, it's cool to get a better Pac-Man or Galaga every few moons, but original games are surely welcome?

As these have started to arrive, one thing I've noted is that creator credits for arcade ports have been to the arcade designer/programmer and not to the programmer of the 2600 ports. For example:

- Missile Command is credited to Dave Theurer, and not Rob Fulop.

- Super Breakout is credited to Ed Logg, and not Nick Turner with Carol Shaw.

- Crystal Castles is credited to Franz Lanzinger, and not to Peter C. Niday.

While it arguably makes sense to credit the arcade originators as "creators" for these titles, not crediting the 2600 programmers is a serious oversight.

This is especially true when lack of credit and compensation led many, including Fulop, to leave Atari. The XP line was the perfect opportunity to correct history and attribute these programmers for their work. As it stands, the XP releases may serve to further muddle history. It's a real shame.

Edited by Sabertooth

Was on the fence about preordering Run and Jump, then chose not to.  Later that day, I stumbled across a random tweet saying something to the tune of "this sort of thing is exactly what we've been asking for, so what would we be telling them if we didn't order?".  That more or less rang true for me, so I took the plunge.  Curious to see if the 3-4 month time window is accurate at all, ha!

1 hour ago, Smell Dawg said:

"this sort of thing is exactly what we've been asking for, so what would we be telling them if we didn't order?"

YES! 

It reminds me of people that complain about their favorite business or newspaper or magazine or whatever ceasing to exist.  Did you support it?  No!  Then stop complaining. 

Does Atari have Tim Lapetino involved at all with the cartridge label and box art design? If not I think that would benefit them. I view the Atari XP program as Atari's outreach and reward to our community and I want to see them successful with this. I think there are a few things they could be doing differently that would, in my mind, absolutely justify the price.