The Story of Neo•Geo

Justin

I've become increasingly more interested in the Neo•Geo recently, and have taken another look at the wild history of the Neo•Geo "Gold" AES System, the MVS Arcade system, and the fate of SNK. It's incredible to think that at the height of "Nintendo-mania" and the beginning of the bitwars, here comes this "industrial strength 24-Bit" arcade machine that had been consolized first for hotel rentals and then for the home.

Like the greatest urban legends, the "Neo•Geo Gold System" achieved this legendary status as this epic thing everyone talked about but nobody had actually seen in person. Here are a few compelling videos telling the Story of Neo•Geo that I thought I'd share with you:

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Good topic.  I'm going to find time to watch these videos. 

I posted it in the "pickups" thread, but I recently picked up a Neo Geo mini and have been enjoying it.  I love how the games are pure arcade versions. 

neo geo mini 002.JPG

Yes @RickR! I'm starting to really LOVE this concept of arcade games in the home! Neo-Geo really knocked it out of the park! I wish I had appreciated this more at the time, but even back then I was so focused on classic games, and being that I've never been into fighting games and that seemed to be the overwhelming majority of Neo-Geo games, I made the unfortunate mistake of overlooking the beautifully detailed 2-D pixel shoot-‘em-ups, the gorgeous puzzle games, and other incredible arcade classics that made it to the Neo-Geo.

I love those Neo-Geo controllers! I think the original Neo-Geo arcade stick will always be my favorite controller of ANY video game system, and the handheld control pads with their clicky thumb sticks are heaven on earth.

I'm thrilled to see that you have a Neo-Geo mini arcade! Hopefully you might be able to participate if we do a Neo-Geo Squad Challenge next year! I think there's really a lot about Neo-Geo for Atari players to appreciate! Especially since it was a rogue system that would have filled the “home console” gap for Atari players during the broad span between the Atari 7800 and the Atari Jaguar :neogeo:

The NEO GEO is a beautiful machine but was one machine I simply couldn't financially support by any means. Even more so today.  I once thought about importing the NEO GEO CD but I could not find one that came with a controller.  Let alone any games for it. It's definitely one system that has maintained a cult following and value.

The Neo-Geo is indeed amazing. It could produce perfect arcade graphics. That was because the arcade versions of the games were mainly SNK's to begin with. The architectures were the same because SNK owned both their arcade titles and the titles for the home. Great way to market it, by the way. I guess you could even save the games using a card from the Neo-Geo and play the saved home game on the arcade game. They would have to be the same title, of course. Brilliant. :O)

49 minutes ago, DegasElite said:

The Neo-Geo is indeed amazing. It could produce perfect arcade graphics. That was because the arcade versions of the games were mainly SNK's to begin with. The architectures were the same because SNK owned both their arcade titles and the titles for the home. Great way to market it, by the way. I guess you could even save the games using a card from the Neo-Geo and play the saved home game on the arcade game. They would have to be the same title, of course. Brilliant. :O)

Yes! Neo•Geo has some real arcade gems, I think there's a lot for the Atari gamer to enjoy about a Neo•Geo beyond it's fighting games. More on this soon!