eBay User Deliberately Drives Up Game Price

Doctor Octagon

I've heard claims that users were intentionally driving up prices on eBay for certain games but I was always skeptical of that claim and thought it was exaggerated. But this clip from Pat the NES Punk has me revisiting that idea. A user did an experiment where he drove up the price of a game (a black and white version of Rampart for Game Boy) from an average of $3 to around $25. This created artificially low base-prices for the game on eBay which then affected the going rate of the game at conventions and stores. What do you think?

I've heard claims that users were intentionally driving up prices on eBay for certain games but I was always skeptical of that claim and thought it was exaggerated. 

I'm not surprised at all, it does sound like it is legit. The program that is monitoring the price for eBay is not monitoring the sellers and buyers, so one person could hoard a certain title and drive it up. 

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

My only argument with the video is that the value is artificial.   This has been a market tactic for years to buy up supply to increase demand.  The value, although manipulated, is quite real.  

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

Archived