Question for Atari 5200 Vanguard owners

Scott Stilphen

The manual mentions the game fully supports the analog controls.  From what I know, there's only 12 games for the 5200 that fully support analog controls:

Centipede *
Galaxian *
Jungle Hunt *
Missile Command *
Pengo
Pole Position *
RealSports Basketball *
RealSports Football
RealSports Soccer
RealSports Tennis
Space Invaders *
Super Breakout

The ones marked with an asterisk are noted on Atari's 5200 catalog/poster as being Trak-Ball compatible, which would indicate full analog support.  Vanguard is listed on the poster and is not indicated.  So did Atari forget to note it on the poster, or is the manual incorrect?

vanguard _controls.jpg

5200_super_system.jpg

As @Scott Stilphen noted you don't need a trak-ball because games that support and really use the analog controls will behave differently depending on how far the controller is moved from the center position. In the case of Vanguard's instructions, it clearly states that your ship will move faster the further you move in that direction. That alone would indicate it does support the analog nature of the controllers.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Someone confirmed for me the game doesn't support full analog movement.  That is to say, the ship moves at the same speed no matter how far over you push the joystick.  I know GCC programmed it but I don't know who the programmer was.  Whether they planned to support full analog movement (perhaps a prototype exists with it?) or if the person putting the manual together made a mistake, who knows.

2 hours ago, Scott Stilphen said:

Besides Kaboom and Gorf, are there any other 3rd-party games that support analog controls? 

Dreadnaught Factor comes to mind as with that game, you can control how fast you move across by adjusting where the joystick position is.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I was thinking but I don't have a whole lot of 3rd party games for my 5200.  I have Blue Print, Star Wars Arcade, Q*Bert, Popeye, Frogger, Buck Rogers, and ... Lemme check...Zaxxon.  I don't think any of those took advantage of the analog controls.  I would have thought Star Wars would due to the arcade setup but I don't remember if it was analog either.  Been way to long since I've seen that game.