Squad Challenge - Megamania (Atari 2600)

Justin

It's not easy but I try to remember how each wave of enemies moves. If you can do that then you'll master the game.  Good luck, @Justin! I hope you get the badge.

One thing I have noticed about the game is some enemies, no matter where they leave the screen at, will pop back up at a random spot to re-enter the screen.  Just because and enemy goes off screen on the bottom left corner doesn't mean it will pop back up on the top left corner or top right corner if it is moving diagonally.  And I said diagonally, not Diagon Alley.

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

51 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

It's not easy but I try to remember how each wave of enemies moves. If you can do that then you'll master the game.  Good luck, @Justin! I hope you get the badge.

One thing I have noticed about the game is some enemies, no matter where they leave the screen at, will pop back up at a random spot to re-enter the screen.  Just because and enemy goes off screen on the bottom left corner doesn't mean it will pop back up on the top left corner or top right corner if it is moving diagonally.  And I said diagonally, not Diagon Alley.

Thanks @Atari 5200 Guy‼️

It would be pretty lame of me to blame the emulator and I'm not going to do that. I'll say though it would've been my preference to play with a real Activision cartridge on real hardware, holding a real CX40 Atari joystick in my hands, which is how I normally play. It's the difference between playing an away game and having home court advantage.

Gianna
This post was recognized by Gianna!

"Achieved the Activision Megamaniacs Patch by scoring 45,000+ Points in our Megamania Squad Challenge!"

Justin was awarded the badge 'Activision Patch - MEGAMANIACS' and 10 points.

THIS GAME IS TOUGH AS NAILS

At least I earned the patch

My New High Score: 53,330

IMG_7357.JPG

20 hours ago, Justin said:

Thanks @Atari 5200 Guy‼️

It would be pretty lame of me to blame the emulator and I'm not going to do that. I'll say though it would've been my preference to play with a real Activision cartridge on real hardware, holding a real CX40 Atari joystick in my hands, which is how I normally play. It's the difference between playing an away game and having home court advantage.

I get the joystick part; I've tried to play using a keyboard but I'm accustomed to a joystick for this paritcular game.

As for Home vs. Away, I guess i'm a Road Warrior at the moment lol.

23 minutes ago, Marco1019 said:

I get the joystick part; I've tried to play using a keyboard but I'm accustomed to a joystick for this paritcular game.

As for Home vs. Away, I guess i'm a Road Warrior at the moment lol.

Disclaimer: I normally do use controllers, but I just moved and only have keyboard access at the moment.

1 hour ago, Gianna said:

Here is my (non impressive) score so far of 7,550. I have been playing this game for days now and still haven't been able to break 8,000! 😣 Everything goes well until the second phase, and then I start losing lives. I just can't seem to get it down, but I will keep working on improving!

840D6718-6E29-44F7-B305-5E2FF09440F7.jpeg

Yeah I like the horizontal moving waves MUCH more than the vertical moving waves. the first vertical moving wave seems a bit more challenging over the next few like they are anticipating your shots to dodge them. If you don't put a break in a column it would be really tough to complete the screen, so at least try to get the bottom 3 

Your ships missiles DON'T have an affect on the energy drain so I'd encourage constant firing 😉 If those guys would have not worried about that and fired at the escape pod in Star Wars IV with the droids aboard their side would have won.

1 hour ago, Gianna said:

Here is my (non impressive) score so far of 7,550. I have been playing this game for days now and still haven't been able to break 8,000! 😣 Everything goes well until the second phase, and then I start losing lives. I just can't seem to get it down, but I will keep working on improving!

840D6718-6E29-44F7-B305-5E2FF09440F7.jpeg

Once you break 10,000 your score will quickly slide up to 15,000-17,000 and then if you can break 20,000 you'll be on your way to 30,000. It's surprising. Stick with it :wreck-it-ralph:

23 minutes ago, Justin said:

Once you break 10,000 your score will quickly slide up to 15,000-17,000 and then if you can break 20,000 you'll be on your way to 30,000. It's surprising. Stick with it :wreck-it-ralph:

This is true -- the further you get, the scores seem to ramp up.  I mean to say higher bonuses and such as you get further along.