Is the SEGA Genesis / N64 Switch Expansion Pack worth it?

Gianna

I don't have it but $50?  That would depend on what games they had.  On the N64 I would expect to see the Rare games, Cruis'n series, RUSH series, big title games.  Same with Genesis which I'm sure Sonic is there.  It's against the law not to have Sonic if you are going to offer/support Genesis games.  But I would want to see others like Toe Jam & Earl, Shadow Dancer, Phantasy Star, and others that became staples.  At least that's for one year and not every month or three months.

15 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I don't have it but $50?  That would depend on what games they had.  On the N64 I would expect to see the Rare games, Cruis'n series, RUSH series, big title games.  Same with Genesis which I'm sure Sonic is there.  It's against the law not to have Sonic if you are going to offer/support Genesis games.  But I would want to see others like Toe Jam & Earl, Shadow Dancer, Phantasy Star, and others that became staples.  At least that's for one year and not every month or three months.

They offer some of those games currently, here are the lists for both systems so far:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.27.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.27.58 PM.png

It looks like there's also an Animal Crossing game that can only be played with the Expansion Pack membership. You're right, $50 for a year is better than for 3 months or so, but it would be nice if this was all included in the regular online membership. I wonder how many people have upgraded since it was released.

That list of N64 games isn't much but does offer some of the best titles on the system.  As for the Genesis games...good games but there are a few in there that are questionable.  Thunder Force 2 is a good game but very hard, even on the easy settings.  Sonic 2 is not bad but the original Sonic, IMO, was better.  Streets of Rage 2?  Best in the series.  Played that one a LOT, even after beating it multiple times. PS IV? Never played it but PS II has been declared the best in the series but I prefer PS III.  I'm surprised those are not there.  Contra?  Never played it.  Castlevania?  Good game and has some cameo stuff from previous Castlevania games.

This would be a tough decision for me.  I couldn't give you a solid answer.  Too bad it doesn't have a trial for you to test drive it to see if you would find an benefits from it.