A Modern PC Version of the Classic Rescue on Fractalus

RickR

This looks like it could be amazing. I loved Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 8-Bit Computers and really felt like we were missing out on it by not having the completed 7800 version. I looked forever to try to find a lost Rom somewhere of a working Rescue on Fractalus for the 7800. I hope this project goes well.

46 minutes ago, Justin said:

This looks like it could be amazing. I loved Rescue on Fractalus on the Atari 8-Bit Computers and really felt like we were missing out on it by not having the completed 7800 version. I looked forever to try to find a lost Rom somewhere of a working Rescue on Fractalus for the 7800. I hope this project goes well.

What has been found of the ROM for the 7800 version is strictly an automated demo. It is a slight graphical overhaul from the 8-bit versions and I believe was a little smoother as well.

I did NOT know the PC remake had finally received a new update?! I've been playing this on and off since I first found out about it several years ago. At that time the aliens hadn't been added in yet so this is very cool!

As an homage to the original. Pay attention to the center view screen. You will see that they are essentially using the 8-bit version graphics in the view screen including the sprites for the original ships. So very cool!

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

1 minute ago, CrossBow said:

What has been found of the ROM for the 7800 version is strictly an automated demo.

When I was looking nothing had been found yet that had been shown publicly. This was in the 1990s. I had ROM images and other prototype stuff that had come out of Atari, both after the events of 1984 as well as 1996. I had always hoped to find something for Rescue on Fractalus, unfortunately I never did. I was happy when something was eventually found! At least we can see what it might have looked like.

3 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

It is a slight graphical overhaul from the 8-bit versions and I believe was a little smoother as well.

My understanding was a somewhat more complete version of Rescue on Fractalus was written for the Atari 7800, and although not complete it was more playable than what is available today.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

My understanding was a somewhat more complete version of Rescue on Fractalus was written for the Atari 7800, and although not complete it was more playable than what is available today.

It would be way beyond cool if that is true and such a version were to ever show up. Fractalus is one of the reasons I sought out and bought a 5200 in the early 2000s. At the time, I didn't know the game existed on the 8-bits as well and was only aware of the 5200 version. That said, it is one of the games that makes great use of the stock controllers too.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections