Dakar 2022 Highlights

Justin

Inspired by my deep appreciation of Victory Run on the TurboGrafx-16 I thought I would share some brief highlights from this year‘s Dakar Rally which ran from January 1st - 14th, 2022. Maybe you’ll find this interesting! This is something I discovered through Victory Run a number of years ago and has since become a passionate interest of mine, that I thought I would share with all of you here.

Combine all of the greatest elements of classic 8-bit driving games (Out Run, Victory Run, Rad Racer, etc.) and you have The Dakar.

The Dakar (formerly The Paris to Dakar Rally) is a challenging, annual off-road endurance event which began in 1978 as a rigorous cross-country race from Paris, France to Dakar, Senegal, with different teams traversing tough terrain in a variety of vehicles, including cars, supply trucks, motorcycles and true off-road vehicles. Dakar is a true test of endurance for both the vehicles and the drivers, as well as their support teams. Most of the competitive areas are off-road, crossing dunes, mud, camel grass, rocks, and erg among others. The distances of each stage covered vary from short distances up to 560 miles per day. The rally is open to amateur and professional entries, amateurs typically making up about 80%t of participants. Due to security threats in Mauritania, which led to the cancellation of the 2008 rally, events from 2009 to 2019 were held in South America, with more recent rallies taking place throughout the Middle East.

This was the first year of "The Dakar Classic" to incorporate classic Dakar vehicles into the rally. Many of the cars seen here could've been the same ones racing the Dakar back when Victory Run was first released on TurboGrafx-16.