Remote Control USB Switches? - I don't get it. Out of BILLIONS of people on the planet, WHY is this not an available product?

- Ω -

We have remote controls for our TV's, and we have USB ports and devices for our TV's, so why no REMOTE CONTROL USB SWITCHES?  You have to be kidding me, right?  Oh, you can buy switches, but you still have to get up and fumble behind the TV to turn them on and off when you need them.  I'm rather surprised some innovating company that makes TV's has not included a couple built-in to their products with a button or two on the remote control.  However I'm shocked that no third-party aftermarket remote controlled switch has been introduced into the marketplace yet?  Don't these people have any imagination?

Switch.png.88f2627b53100906bdcafb4117cfedef.png

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

4 hours ago, RickR said:

What about this?

Well, here's the things, I've got multiple outlet strips already, with no room for another, and brother they are full, some of them already have items that are remote controlled.  The item that I want to use is only needed when the TV is on, and when I turn the item on, my auto switcher takes over.  When I turn the item off, it goes back to the previous device.  Even if I did have an available outlet free, I'd still have to buy a USB extension cord and a wall wart.  Life would be so much easier with a short jumper with a remote controlled switch.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I've seen the kind of power strip that has a "control" plug on it.  In other words, you plug your TV (for example) in the control.  When the TV is off, all of the other outlets are off.  If you turn the TV on, all the other outlets become hot.  Is that more like what you need?

The other choice is to use a USB hub and just plug-in/unplug the cords when you need. 

They have remote ones.  I use one to control the lights next to the bed on both sides.  Makes it easy when going to bed.  Don't. Red to reach for that lamp!

You just need to get one to handle the amps for the device.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Wireless-Electrical-Christmas-Appliance/dp/B01NASZ0UM/ref=asc_df_B01NASZ0UM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=193994910693&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8882574929902107319&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031936&hvtargid=pla-312757237595&psc=1

18 hours ago, RickR said:

I've seen the kind of power strip that has a "control" plug on it.  In other words, you plug your TV (for example) in the control.  When the TV is off, all of the other outlets are off.  If you turn the TV on, all the other outlets become hot.  Is that more like what you need?

The other choice is to use a USB hub and just plug-in/unplug the cords when you need. 

Yeap. my house is full of these eco smart surge strips and it helps a ton on keeping my energy bills at bay. I have a lot... like a LOT of electronics. But you would be surprised if you knew how effecient I actually have everything setup because I have so many of these smart surge strips in use throughout my home. The front living room home theater setup has one. The TV is the master so once the tv is powered on, then it powers on everything else.

The smaller theater in the bedroom is the same way. Both my wife and I's PC and needed peripherals are powered off smart strips using our PCs as the master to power everything else.

And of course the ITC game room is completely controlled by one of these strips from which all the others are operated from. Only the AV receiver is the master in the game room as using the TV presented some issues. I have also found out that the small book size PC I have in the game room to help with streaming, appears to have dedicated always on USB port on the back that is nice to keep somethings powered on without having to actually have the PC on too.

I'm more surprised that these eco smart strips are more and more rare to find these days? They used to be everywhere and then they kinda disappeared? Used to have a selection to choose from at places like Best Buy and the like, and now... they can only be found through Amazon it seems?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

The front living room home theater setup has one.

I've been considering doing this.  One question:  How long does it take your cable box to boot?  (assuming you have a cable box). 

4 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

I'm more surprised that these eco smart strips are more and more rare to find these days?

My guess is that the average consumer doesn't really understand what it's for and how to use it. 

17 hours ago, RickR said:

I've been considering doing this.  One question:  How long does it take your cable box to boot?  (assuming you have a cable box). 

I do not have cable TV so that is actually a non issue for me. Remember we just had that other discussion about the antennas for local stations LOL? That's why. My wife has Hulu, Prime, Disney+, and access to HBO Max and other services that we just don't feel a need for cable TV. And I learned a long time ago that we could get better quality video from over the air for the local stations vs the cable company due to the extra compression in the signal the cable company uses.

We actually have the TV as the master device in the living room so when it is powered out of standby, it kicks power on to the AV receiver, BD, and speaker system. However, occasionally the AV receiver will fail to handshake and we so we might have to power it back on/off again separately. 

In the game room I found out that leaving the TV as the master was a bad idea because the TV's standby mode was enough to occasionally fool the smart strip and cause it to power everything on. So I instead setup up the game room to have the AV receiver be the master.

In the home office, we have the network stuff on their own standard surge strip since that stuff always has to be powered on. The printer is a network printer in the house so it too is always on. But the computers themselves and their monitors, speakers...etc. are on smart strips with the PCs acting as the master devices.

They help way more than you could ever imagine on keeping costs down. I have a 2500sf 2 story home. We have 2 AC systems and 2 furnaces with lots of electronics throughout. The highest my electric bill has ever been was during hot summer where both of the AC units were working so hard that one of them burned out a fuse in the process. But that monthly bill was $178. On average my electric bill each month is between $45 - $75 monthly. I had much higher electric bills at my previous homes but this house seems to be well insulated and with all bulbs changed out to LED about 10 years ago plus the smart power strips... yeah... I like it.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

Thanks for the info @CrossBow.  I think I'll buy one of the smart strips and start experimenting.  At worst, I could leave the cable box on a hot plug if it takes a long time to restart.  At a bare minimum, I'd have the audio receiver, bose speakers, Blu-ray controlled (and off when not in use) with the TV as the control. 

16 minutes ago, RickR said:

Thanks for the info @CrossBow.  I think I'll buy one of the smart strips and start experimenting.  At worst, I could leave the cable box on a hot plug if it takes a long time to restart.  At a bare minimum, I'd have the audio receiver, bose speakers, Blu-ray controlled (and off when not in use) with the TV as the control. 

Most of them that I've seen as well as the ones I own, usually have an extra or 2 outlet that are always hot just like standard surge strips. That is how the printer in the home office is setup for instance. I have the same in my game room as I have the PS4 and the Wii-U on always hot outlets on the smart strip I have in the game room with all other strips daisy chainged off the controllers outlets. Yes... it is quite scary how the power is handled in the game room. But... I never have more than a few things on at any given time. It is rare...and kinda scary when I decide to do a photo shoot of the game room and turn everything one since all of that is on a single breaker for that portion of the house LOL! But... so far so good and again, it isn't something I do all the time. 

OH! Something else I just realized. If you have a Smart TV that is powered by droid or amazon etc... then you pretty much have to keep it on a hot connection because those can take forever to boot up from cold starts. My Sony bravia in the living room is the master because of this aspect. It is a droid based smart TV from 2015 and takes as long as 2 - 5min to boot up sometimes. So... yeah... Smart TVs need to be on constant on connections.

Edited by CrossBow

6 hours ago, CrossBow said:

OH! Something else I just realized. If you have a Smart TV that is powered by droid or amazon etc... then you pretty much have to keep it on a hot connection because those can take forever to boot up from cold starts. My Sony bravia in the living room is the master because of this aspect. It is a droid based smart TV from 2015 and takes as long as 2 - 5min to boot up sometimes. So... yeah... Smart TVs need to be on constant on connections.

Exactly, the one I want the USB switches for is the Bravia in the bedroom.  I already have things on remote control switches and am using, multiple power taps and simply have ZERO ROOM to put another multi-strip of wall wart.  The devices I want to turn on and off would be better served getting their power from the TV, which is what these devices are hooked to anyway.  Honestly, once I get in bed at night, I don't want to get out of it again until morning.  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>