Squad Challenge - 10-Yard Fight (NES)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

10-Yard Fight
Nintendo Entertainment System
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Super Bowl Team
Play on: Real Hardware / Mini Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST February 14, 2022
Nominated by: @RickR

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between February 1st through February 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing 10-Yard Fight using "Super Bowl Team" Difficulty, which provides for the maximum level of difficulty against the opposing team, and a challenging level of gameplay appropriate for adult players.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 117th Squad Challenge!!! TEN-HUT!! For this challenge we're gearing up for the Super Bowl with Irem's 10-Yard Fight, released for the Nintendo Entertainment System as a "black box" U.S. launch title. Special thanks to @RickR for nominating this game for High Score Squad! 10-Yard Fight is a basic but fantastic NES football game featuring simple but precise gameplay. Item debuted 10-Yard Fight as an arcade game in 1984, consisting of a series of "fights" with the player playing only offense. 10-Yard Fight was released for the Nintendo Entertainment System and was one of five sports titles to coincide with the U.S. launch of the NES, with 10-Yard Fight holding the distinction of being the only NES launch title to originate outside of Nintendo. 10-Yard Fight is widely considered one of the best Football video games of all time. Standard scoring rules for Football generally apply. ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below. I hope you all have fun, and good luck to everybody participating. Let's celebrate the Super Bowl retro-style! Can you score a TOUCHDOWN?! 🏈

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

10-Yard Fight.pdf 10-Yard Fight.nes

As that one weirdo that LOVES sports video games, let me share my thoughts on this one.  It had been a while since I played.

What makes it so good:  Although it is very simple, it's a microcosm of real football.  Both the run and the pass work, and both take some skill to pull off.  You've gotta make quick decisions at the line of scrimmage by observing what the defense looks like.  I can't tell you how many football games introduce unreal gameplay (like the guide-able ball on Atari Football, or the brain-dead computer on Atari Realsports Football).  This game has none of that.  The addition of playing defense really works well.  As far as I know, there are no "cheats" or "tricks" that make the game too easy (I'm looking at you Bo Jackson on Tecmo Bowl)

What's bad:  The vertical scrolling is horrible.  It makes it feel like the field is made of molasses.  For a long time, the ROM file I used was the Japanese version, which plays just like the arcade version (with a "score" and no defense).  The USA version is much better and more complete, and I was really happy when I figured out the difference.  

Comparo vs. the arcade version:  The IREM arcade version is a classic.  Easily in my top 5 of favorite football games.  I LOVE the very Japanese speech and super smooth scrolling. 

Going live soon with my first attempt.

Got 28-0 around the 45 minute mark.

So @Justin, is this based solely on your team's score, or how much you beat the other team by? 

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

3 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

So @Justin, is this based solely on your team's score, or how much you beat the other team by? 

Hi @nosweargamer, I'm watching your livestream on a delay, wish I had been there from the start! This is a good question.

Answer: Let's make this interesting. Your final score will be YOUR TEAM'S SCORE + HOW MUCH YOU BEAT THE OTHER TEAM BY.

So for example @nosweargamer, you got to 28-0. So your score would be your team's score of 28 points, plus the 28 points that you beat the other team by, for a final "Squad Total" of 56.

x + y = Final Score

Where "x" is your team's score and "y" is how much you beat the other team by. This will give equal weight to both. Consider the "how much you beat the other team by" as a bonus added on at the end. This will be a fun way to make this challenge even more interesting 🏈

8 hours ago, Justin said:

x + y = Final Score

Where "x" is your team's score and "y" is how much you beat the other team by. This will give equal weight to both. Consider the "how much you beat the other team by" as a bonus added on at the end. This will be a fun way to make this challenge even more interesting 🏈

Even though it may not be appreciated by all, the math nerd in me really digs this. 🧮🤓

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

I gave it another go this morning, had a great first half and was able to improve my score to 35-0. Here's the end of the game, which shows the Super Bowl difficulty and final score at the end.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

I agree with this method.  Score + point differential. 

So my score of 21-3 = 21 + 18 = 39
datafry's 31-10 = 31 + 21 = 52

Very good idea. 

1 hour ago, nosweargamer said:

Even though it may not be appreciated by all, the math nerd in me really digs this. 🧮🤓

I'm glad you guys approve! 🙌 I think this will add a nice twist and make this a fun way of doing the Squad Challenge.

@nosweargamer Disappointed that I missed getting to watch your livestream as it was going out live, I missed it by 2 mins! I watched it in its entirety though right as you finished. Great stream! Thank you for getting the word out and sharing this with your viewers.