Squad Challenge - 10-Yard Fight (NES)

Justin

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Won a High Score Squad Challenge!"

nosweargamer was awarded the badge '1st Time Squad Champ' and 10 points.

Played again and improved my score by a TD. Might be hard for me to do any better. 42-0

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I grabbed this game cheap years ago so could get free shipping.  Tried it once, set it on a shelf.  It worked so I was happy.  Until now I've never really tried to dig into the game.  This was a frustratingly fun game in a good way.  A football game where it is more about the sport than about the roster.  These are the sports games I enjoy most.

First score. I'm going to try again. Second round already started once I got my shot.

IMG_20220207_014505.jpg

Edited by Atari 5200 Guy

17 minutes ago, datafry said:

Think this is the best I can do. 42 - 3

I have tried several times to break 21 points in the first half, and have yet to do it. Came close to adding a field game one time, but was too far away.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I have found that if you can resist the urge to go straight for the runner and hold back from the line of scrimmage, the computer will try to pass more. Therefore you can intercept the ball which gives you the ball of course, but it also gives you more time to score points in each half. This is what has been working for me. I am using this strategy and coming close to 50 points a game. I start the game over if the computer gets more than a few first downs. I also tried running back really far before passing hail marys like in Super Tecmo Bowl but it uses up too much precious time. The clock is super fast. When can we vote on the next game?   

Edited by Doug.dryerlint17

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations No Swear Gamer!!

A KING HAS RETURNED. Congratulations to high score legend @nosweargamer on becoming our new NES 10-Yard Fight Squad Champion! No Swear landed a Touchdown with his stellar 42 - 0 game, giving him a score of 84 points! Terrific win for nosweargamer! And a big congratulations to everybody on all those incredible scores across the board! I hope 10-Yard Fight was a fun event to get in the mood for the Super Bowl and everybody enjoyed the big game.

Newcomer @datafry was on fire in 10-Yard Fight, securing the 2nd Place in our Final Standings with his white hot 42 - 3 game, giving him a total score of 81 points. Our other big newcomer @Doug.dryerlint17 was "on there" and takes 3rd with an impressive 28 - 3 game, giving him a score of 53 points. Perennial Squad champ @Atari 5200 Guy joined us for 10-Yard Fight with his impressive 21 - 0 game, resulting in a total score of 42 points to take 4th Place in our Final Standings. Squad Legend "The Don" @RickR himself nominated 10-Yard Fight and got us started in the game with his 21 - 3 performance, giving Rick a total score of 39 points and taking 5th Place. My congratulations to all who joined us in our Nintendo Entertainment System 10-Yard Fight Squad Challenge and shared these high scores. I hope everybody had a blast!

Also, we'd like to offer a BIG WELCOME to new members @datafry and @Doug.dryerlint17 who have been joining us in the Forums. We're thrilled to have all you at Atari I/O participating in High Score Squad!! WELCOME!!

I'd also like to recognize and say thank you to Atari I/O's content creators who do so much to get the word out about our High Score events, and invite new friends to join our Atari Party at Atari I/O. @nosweargamer went live on YouTube on multiple occasions with our 10-Yard Fight Squad Challenge and played in real time before his subscribers. I was in attendance and watched his fantastic game. @Papa Pete also shared a very cool High Score Squad video on YouTube today! @Papa Pete actually went back and played Megamania on Atari 2600, as he missed out on joining our Megamanaia Squad Challenge a few weeks back. Special Shoutout to @Sabertooth for putting so much effort into the new Club VCS and inviting new Atari VCS fans to join us. I can tell you Sabertooth has been putting in tremendous work into making the Atari VCS community something genuinely amazing. THANK YOU to everyone for helping to get the word out about our events in the forums!

As always I'd like to encourage Squad Legend and our new champion @nosweargamer  to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to NSG, special thanks once again to @RickR for nominating this game, and a big congratulations to our wonderful little community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing in our football league!

NOTE: We play an incredible classic puzzle game in our next High Score Squad Challenge -  Bomberman '93 for the TurboGrafx-16 & TurboDuo! Be there!

large.final_standings_nes_10-yard_fight.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif