Xeno Crisis or a game like it on the ATARI Jaguar

Chubbz

46 minutes ago, Chubbz said:

I would love a new Jaguar game that would take inspiration from titles such as Smash T.V, or Bitmap Bureau's Xeno Crisis.

These games have an ATARI feel to them, and would suit the console percectly.

You make a great point @Chubbz. I just got my hands on Xenocrisis and I've been thinking the same thing about some of these Neo•Geo games in general. (I touched on this discussing Neo Mr. Do! in this thread). There's a lot to love about the Neo•Geo for Atari players once you look beyond what we all know about the fighters.

The Neo•Geo hit that perfect sweet spot bringing home the arcade experience of the early 1990s, and I think the Jaguar was fully capable of this as well. I'm not sure Atari saw this at the time. All of the marketing was "64-Bit Interactive Multimedia System" and everything was 3-D polygons and "Cyber". The Jaguar did some of that amazingly well! But I think there was and IS an opportunity there to really excel in the world of 2-D gaming.

If they could port Xenocrisis to the Atari Jaguar (a modern Xenophobe?) or develop a new game with that Atari feel to them, I would buy one. A game like Xenocrisis with beautiful graphics, crisp action and responsive controls would go a long way to showing off what the Jaguar can really do.

:atari_jaguar:  :neogeo:

Isn't Cosmic Carnage kinda in the same genre? But yes I do really like Smash T.V. and I do own Xenocrisis for my Genesis. Wonderful game but I'm awful at it as I can't progress very far. Likely because it really wants and needs a twin stick setup to really get far in the game and I just haven't been able to acclimate to the control schemes for the game.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I have Xenocrisis on the Evercade and it's a great game. Songbird Productions released Total Carnage on the Jaguar. While it is a decent port, the control scheme makes it hard to recommend with so many other great versions out there. It really needs twin sticks. I think Xenocrisis on the Jaguar would be similar. Even with the ProController, the button setup isn't ideal for this type of game.

Edited by Sabertooth

On 2/4/2022 at 6:43 AM, Justin said:

You make a great point @Chubbz. I just got my hands on Xenocrisis and I've been thinking the same thing about some of these Neo•Geo games in general. (I touched on this discussing Neo Mr. Do! in this thread). There's a lot to love about the Neo•Geo for Atari players once you look beyond what we all know about the fighters.

The Neo•Geo hit that perfect sweet spot bringing home the arcade experience of the early 1990s, and I think the Jaguar was fully capable of this as well. I'm not sure Atari saw this at the time. All of the marketing was "64-Bit Interactive Multimedia System" and everything was 3-D polygons and "Cyber". The Jaguar did some of that amazingly well! But I think there was and IS an opportunity there to really excel in the world of 2-D gaming.

If they could port Xenocrisis to the Atari Jaguar (a modern Xenophobe?) or develop a new game with that Atari feel to them, I would buy one. A game like Xenocrisis with beautiful graphics, crisp action and responsive controls would go a long way to showing off what the Jaguar can really do.

:atari_jaguar:  :neogeo:

ATARI completely missed it.

I was expecting 1:1 2D arcade ports, Super-scalers, etc.

I was expecting arcade-perfect ports of Double Dragon 1+2, R-Type, etc.

If ATARI had struck a little deal with S.N.K and had Samurai Showdown or Art of Fighting as a launch game, I think the whole 'it looks like a Genesis game' jibe would've been a moot point.

Edited by Chubbz

I would be great to see Xeno Crisis enhanced for the Jaguar.

Many current Jaguar developers are taking full advantage of the Jaguars hardware with 60fps action, and the use of the CRY feature, as demonstrated by developers such as Reboot.

These enhancements would make a Jaguar version unique, and could bring new gamers to the scene.

Edited by Chubbz

On 3/2/2022 at 4:11 PM, DegasElite said:

I wish Total Carnage, although a great Jag port already, was 60 frames per second. It would have looked a lot better and had less choppy movement. I think that hurt it.

Total Carnage was shaping-up quite nicely, and would've clearly been the best version had it been completed.

It would be great to see it finished, with in-game music.

Edited by Chubbz

On 4/30/2023 at 4:16 AM, Chubbz said:

Bitmap Bureau recently posted that they've received many requests for a Jaguar port of Xeno Crisis.

Get as many peolple as possible to head over to the Facebook link at the top of this thread, and leave a like, comment, or both to show your support.

I'm on board with the idea of a port but am not a used of facebook.

On 9/30/2023 at 2:51 PM, Chubbz said:

Bitmap Bureau have enhanced the S.N.E.S version to take advantage of more on screen colours.

A Jagaur version using the CrY mode would look great.

Probably a better match would be to use the Jaguar's 16bpp RGB mode, unless shadows and highlights are to be implemented. The reason is that converting high color RGB images to CRY produces a little bit different result on some high color images. Someone comparing the Jaguar versions to the SNES version could notice a slightly different look. For example both Doom and Pitfall look darker on the Jaguar. Doom looks better as it also has better lighting effects, while Pitfall is for the worse.

Many people forget that the Jaguar also has a high color RGB mode to complement the high color CRY mode.

For a SNES port it may even be sufficient to use the 256 (8bpp) RGB mode, as I think that the SNES can only exceed 256 simultaneous colors when using a special combination of background layers.

Screenshot_20231002_172124_Chrome.jpg.4a3b6bd6133b8048cb97aeb0a18d1044.jpg

Edited by phoboz