Squad Challenge - Crackpots (Atari 2600)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Crackpots
Atari 2600
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 14, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 1st through March 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Crackpots on Game 1 (1 Player) using the Default difficulty settings. The Difficulty Switches are not used in this game.

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our 119th Squad Challenge! For this challenge we're playing Activision's CRACKPOTS designed by Dan Kitchen and released for the Atari 2600 pretty late in the game in 1983. Crackpots begins with an infestation! A bug barrage is swarming out of the sewer, chomping away at every building in town. Entire neighborhoods are now crumb piles! Over in Brooklyn, Potsy, the rooftop Gardner, is defending his beloved building with his only weapon - potted petunias. Be a good neighbor, help Potsy take potshots at the insect invaders... Quick! When too many bugs crawl into the windows, they'll start eating you out of house and home! ROM and PDF Instruction Manual are provided below.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Crackpots.pdf Crackpots.a26

:pow_big:

High Score Squad Special Event!
Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge
Missile Command: Recharged March 1st - 31st

HIGH SCORE SQUAD SPECIAL EVENT: ATARI VCS players be sure to stop by our new Club VCS and join us for our very first Recharged Squad Challenge! We're playing Missile Command: Recharged on the Atari VCS, now through March 31st! There will be new Recharged Squad Challenges coming every month in Club VCS, be sure to join us and show off your VCS skills. Big shoutout to @Sabertooth who is organizing the event and has been putting in tremendous work into making the Atari VCS community something genuinely amazing. THANK YOU to everyone who has been participating in Club VCS and inviting new Atari VCS fans to join us!

IMG_2661.JPG

On 3/1/2022 at 12:08 PM, Justin said:

:pow_big:

High Score Squad Special Event!
Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge
Missile Command: Recharged March 1st - 31st

HIGH SCORE SQUAD SPECIAL EVENT: ATARI VCS players be sure to stop by our new Club VCS and join us for our very first Recharged Squad Challenge! We're playing Missile Command: Recharged on the Atari VCS, now through March 31st! There will be new Recharged Squad Challenges coming every month in Club VCS, be sure to join us and show off your VCS skills. Big shoutout to @Sabertooth who is organizing the event and has been putting in tremendous work into making the Atari VCS community something genuinely amazing. THANK YOU to everyone who has been participating in Club VCS and inviting new Atari VCS fans to join us!

IMG_2661.JPG

I'd join but I don't own the modern VCS.  Only PC versions of the game.

1 hour ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I'd join but I don't own the modern VCS.  Only PC versions of the game.

Maybe a new goal for this year!

Consider joining just to follow along. You could even play along with the PC versions of the game if you'd like, but the scores won't be able to be counted in the Final Standings. I need to get my hands on a VCS too, and an Evercade VS System 🙂 

47 minutes ago, Justin said:

Consider joining just to follow along. You could even play along with the PC versions of the game if you'd like, but the scores won't be able to be counted in the Final Standings. I need to get my hands on a VCS too, and an Evercade VS System 🙂 

Same here, both are on my list for this year

5 hours ago, Justin said:

I'll join but I have no plans getting a VCS when I already have a PC that is just as powerful if not more powerful.  I can't justify the purchase of one.  Especially at $399 a pop.