Squad Challenge - Crackpots (Atari 2600)

Justin

17 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I'll join but I have no plans getting a VCS when I already have a PC that is just as powerful if not more powerful.  I can't justify the purchase of one.  Especially at $399 a pop.

The "Stella" emulator is quite acceptable for use on a PC https://stella-emu.github.io/

All the Atari 2600 ROMS can be found here in one download: http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

in "Roms collection" is where I got the game for use in this particular Squad Challenge :) but always prefer origonal carts.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, chas10e said:

The "Stella" emulator is quite acceptable for use on a PC https://stella-emu.github.io/

All the Atari 2600 ROMS can be found here in one download: http://www.atarimania.com/rom_collection_archive_atari_2600_roms.html

in "Roms collection" is where I got the game for use in this particular Squad Challenge 🙂 but always prefer origonal carts.

I think you misunderstood me.  I have 3 original VCS consoles and I use Stella when I don't have original carts.  The "VCS" I was referring to is the new modern VCS console and joining Club VCS on here.  😉 I don't have one but would have liked to participate in the Missile Command squad challenge going on over there.

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I can't come close to my first post either.  It's why I have not posted anything since.  Those darn red spiders are a royal pain.

I think I was better off not knowing what a pain they were when I first played, now when I see 'em I stress-out 😬

I think you misunderstood me.  I have 3 original VCS consoles and I use Stella when I don't have original carts.  The "VCS" I was referring to is the new modern VCS console and joining Club VCS on here.  😉 I don't have one but would have liked to participate in the Missile Command squad challenge going on over there.

Yeah I dunno about this "modern stuff" ... I think I'm getting closer to just start screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN" .... but I don't have to much of a lawn so ....

17 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I think Atari is doing a nice job with the new "VCS" but they should've chosen a better name. As in, a name that wasn't already taken. Maybe Atari 3200 or Atari 2900 or something less confusing than VCS. We're bound to run into this now. At this point that's my only real complaint about the new Atari "VCS".

On 3/4/2022 at 5:43 PM, chas10e said:

in "Roms collection" is where I got the game for use in this particular Squad Challenge 🙂 but always prefer origonal carts.

Crackpots is also available to play on Virtual Atari here: http://www.virtualatari.org/soft.php?soft=Crackpots

23 hours ago, chas10e said:

I think I was better off not knowing what a pain they were when I first played, now when I see 'em I stress-out 😬

Yeah I dunno about this "modern stuff" ... I think I'm getting closer to just start screaming "GET OFF MY LAWN" .... but I don't have to much of a lawn so ....

I'm with @Justin on the new VCS. I wish they would have decided on a different name.  It leads to confusion with the original VCS. They could have named it P.A.M.

I'm with @Justin on the new VCS. I wish they would have decided on a different name.  It leads to confusion with the original VCS. They could have named it P.A.M.

They could've called it anything really. Atari "Nexus", whatever, anything. They even could've done something like call it the "Atari Nexus Video Computer System" or the "Atari 3200 Video Computer System" or anything you could come up with, as long as there wasn't product confusion.

23 minutes ago, Justin said:

They could've called it anything really. Atari "Nexus", whatever, anything. They even could've done something like call it the "Atari Nexus Video Computer System" or the "Atari 3200 Video Computer System" or anything you could come up with, as long as there wasn't product confusion.

I hear "VCS" I think 2600.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Datafry!

Congratulations to the incredible @datafry on becoming our new Crackpots Squad Champion! This is Datafry's first time winning a Squad Challenge, so let's all give him a hand on his absolutely killer score and decisive win! And a big congratulations to everybody on all those incredible scores across the board! I hope Crackpots was fun to revisit.

Datafry takes 1st Place in our Final Standings with a score of 80,920, making him the only Squad Member to achieve a patch-worthy score. @Kid A was on fire in Crackpots, securing the 2nd Place in our Final Standings with his burning hot score of 61,020 points. @RickR takes 3rd with an impressive 41,670 points, and @Doug.dryerlint17 was hot on his tail, taking 4th with 37,700. I take 5th Place with my score of 32,010 points, and @Sabertooth was hot on my tail taking 6th Place with 31,660. @nosweargamer @TrekMD @Atari 5200 Guy and @Gianna all joined us in our Crackpots Activision Squad Challenge and shared terrific high scores. I hope everybody who joined us for this one had a blast!

Our new Achievement Badges have been a real hit in the forums. For this Squad Challenge we introduced the "Crackpots" Activision Badge, which is being awarded to all players who achieved a "patch-worthy" score of 75,000+ Points or higher in our Crackpots Squad Challenge. @datafry was the only Squad Member this time to earn the Activision Crackpots Badge! For all Activision games played in High Score Squad moving forward, we will be recreating the classic Activision Patches as Badges and awarding them to all players who achieve a "patch-worthy" score as originally set forth by Activision. We think that will be a fun way to play Activision games in High Score Squad, and revive the spirit of the original Activision Patches.

As always I'd like to encourage @datafry to post his high score on the Scoreboard, and let's make sure this Challenge continues on! Congratulations to Datafry, and a big congratulations to our wonderful little community for being such a great group to spend time with, I hope everybody had fun playing Crackpots!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge is an arcade game for MAME! Be there!

large.final_standings_atari_2600_crackpots.gif

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif