Half-Life on Dreamcast - who knew?

RickR

13 minutes ago, RickR said:

Who knew they made Half-Life for the Dreamcast (prototype)?  https://videogamecritic.com/dchh.htm?e=18467#rev5605

I don't remember how to burn a Dreamcast CD, but I think I might try it just to give this game a go.

I don't remember anything special burning them.  Except sometimes you needed a boot loader cd.  But it's been ages since I've done it.

7 hours ago, RickR said:

Who knew they made Half-Life for the Dreamcast (prototype)?  https://videogamecritic.com/dchh.htm?e=18467#rev5605

I don't remember how to burn a Dreamcast CD, but I think I might try it just to give this game a go.

Do NOT burn a DC CD over x2 speed.  If you can adjust the burn speed before you burn, turn it down.  I've not had any luck with a burned DC CD if I go over double speed.  Also, brands.  TDK or Maxell brand for data work best.  Those for music can have too thin of a reflective layer for the Dreamcast.

36 minutes ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

Do NOT burn a DC CD over x2 speed.  If you can adjust the burn speed before you burn, turn it down.  I've not had any luck with a burned DC CD if I go over double speed.  Also, brands.  TDK or Maxell brand for data work best.  Those for music can have too thin of a reflective layer for the Dreamcast.

Slowest my burner will burn at is 8x and I've never had an issue? I've got a few verbatim's but mostly used a stack of Taiyo Yuden's I had but have since ran out of.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

8x might work.  I never had any luck above 2x.  I forget the app I had to burn those with.  I think it was ImgBurn. Don't quote me on that.  I just know I had a hard time finding disc brands that worked.  Blanks for music I couldn't get to work, those for data worked best for me.  I had better luck with TDK than any other.  Then again where I live there wasn't a lot of options.  Memorex brands didn't work for me at all.  My Dreamcast couldn't read those.

I'm thinking it might actually boil down to the burner itself because each model could have a different brand burner.

As for Half-life I remember reading about it in the ODCM and was excited for it.  I kept an eye out for it but it never came. I was surprised when I discovered Steam to learn both were by the same developers.