Squad Challenge - Neo Turf Masters (Neo•Geo / MAME)

Justin

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Neo Turf Masters (aka Big Tournament Golf)
Neo•Geo / MAME
Controller: JOYSTICK / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Stroke Play > Player's Choice of Character > Australia
Play on: Real Hardware / Arcade / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST March 31, 2022
Nominated by @Justin

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between March 15th through March 31st, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Choosing between real hardware or emulation, and choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

STROKE PLAY > PLAYER'S CHOICE OF CHARACTER > AUSTRALIA
This year we are playing Neo Turf Masters at the Blue Lagoon Golf Course in Australia! After the title screen you will select STROKE PLAY. Next, the game will offer you a character select screen where you can select the pro golfer you will play as. Each golfer has different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities - so chose wisely! Finally, you will select AUSTRALIA to play at the Blue Lagoon Golf Course. (Note: If you are playing the home Neo•Geo AES cartridge, you will select "Normal" difficulty)

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Neo-Turf-Masters-Android-Game-840x424.jp

Welcome to our 120th Squad Challenge! For this challenge we're celebrating The Masters golf tournament coming up at Augusta National with possibly the greatest arcade golf game of all time, Neo Turf Masters!

Neo Turf Masters is a stunningly beautiful golf game known for its gorgeous pixelated arcade graphics, simplistic gameplay, difficult courses, and a unique continue system - where exceptional performance rewards the player with additional game time. Last year we celebrated The Masters with "NES Open Tournament Golf", this year we're playing something at the opposite end of the gaming spectrum. 

Neo Turf Masters (known in Japan and in later re-releases as Big Tournament Golf) is a golf simulation game developed by Nazca. This is a golf game brought to you by the same team that developed Metal Gear! Neo Turf Masters was released by SNK in 1996 for the Neo•Geo "Gold" AES home console, and for arcades running on the Neo•Geo MVS hardware. As this is a Neo•Geo arcade game, it is playable on MAME. The Arcade Archives version was released for the Nintendo Switch and PC in 2017. ROM sets will have to be sourced for emulation. The game will provide on-screen instructions. This is quite honestly one of the greatest and most beautiful golf games ever created. Good luck! Do you have what it takes to play with the masters?

P.S. - Let's clarify a little weirdness with this Squad Challenge before we begin:

• Neo Turf Masters is also known as "Big Tournament Golf". They're the same game.
  • Neo Turf Masters is the same game on the Neo•Geo AES home cartridge as it is in the Neo•Geo MVS arcade machine. With Neo•Geo, home games are the same as the arcade. AES & MVS are both accepted in this Squad Challenge.
  • As Neo•Geo games are arcade games, they are also emulated on MAME
  • You can play Neo Turf Masters on the Neo•Geo AES home console, Neo•Geo MVS arcade machine, MAME, Mini console, or the Arcade Archives release on PC or Nintendo Switch. All of these ways to play are accepted in this Squad Challenge!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

12 hours ago, Sabertooth said:

What is the name of the ROM file folks are using?  I've tried two and the extensions seem weird.

turfmast.zip

I can message it to you if you'd like.  For Windows, I think if you use MAMEUI, it comes with all the bios and mame files you need -- all you do is unzip the file into a directory of your choice, drop the ROM files  into the "ROMS" directory, and it just works. 

On 3/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, datafry said:

So we play all 18 with continues? or go as far as you can go w/o?  (playing mame version)

@Justincan you clarify?  I assume the goal is to play all 18 (and using continues is fine) and then we just post our final score.

On my first game, I got a game over at hole #5 and didn't continue. 

I will say this game is pretty incredible.  The reaction shot and "report" at the end of each hole is fantastic. 

16 minutes ago, RickR said:

@Justincan you clarify?  I assume the goal is to play all 18 (and using continues is fine) and then we just post our final score.

Hi @RickR, yes, the goal is to complete all 18 Holes and post your final score. If you don't complete the course you're welcome to post your progress 🙂

17 minutes ago, RickR said:

I will say this game is pretty incredible.  The reaction shot and "report" at the end of each hole is fantastic. 

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I honestly believe Neo Turf Masters is the #1 reason to have a Neo Geo in your home. Most Neo Geo guys will show off their fighting games, which are indeed legendary. But Neo Turf Masters is a work of art. It's beautiful, it's easy to play, I really love it. I love all of the other games on Neo Geo that would resonate with an arcade fanatic who loves Atari games. Games such as Neo Turf Masters, Neo Bomberman, Neo Mr. Do!, Puzzle Bobble / Bust-A-Move, and Stakes Winner is truly the evolution of Steeplechase, an underrated horse racing game for the Atari 2600. Viewpoint is an absolute masterpiece, it's so beautiful and relentlessly cool. Pulstar is the evolution of R•TYPE and developed by the same team. Last Resort is another good one. Enjoy!

Justin
This post was recognized by Justin!

"Played in a Neo•Geo Squad Challenge!"

nosweargamer was awarded the badge 'Neo Squad' and 10 points.

I'm going live with my attempt using the PS2 SNK Arcade Classics 1 disc.  FINAL SCORE: +6!

Edited by nosweargamer

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

18 hours ago, RickR said:

My score:  +7

I'm playing on my atGames legends mini console, which arrived yesterday (it's on clearance sale at Gamestop.com).  My goal is to load all my arcade favorites on this thing.  NEO Turf Masters was the first one I tried adding and it works great. 

neo golf 001.jpg

neo golf 004.jpg

That looks awesome! I saw those on sale at Sam's Club and thought about picking one up! I'm glad you're able to enjoy Neo Turf Masters on the big screen! I really need to get caught up in the "recent pickups" thread, I have a few things to post.

Also I'm loving your little Murciélago you have on display there, you're a good Italian @RickR ☺️

4 minutes ago, Justin said:

Also I'm loving your little Murciélago you have on display there

Ha ha ha, thank you.  I've been waiting for the weather to improve and I was going to try a bit of trick photography to make it look like a real Lamborghini in our driveway.  That's why it's out like that. 

I paid $50 shipped for the AtGames legends mini, and I'm happy with it.  There are a couple of methods for adding in more games, but I'm going to take my time with that.  The idea of having all of the games I want available and ready on a big screen with booming sound is what compels me. 

My High Score: +16

As @Gianna said, this was my first time to actually sit down and enjoy my new Neo Geo! Neo Turf Masters was one of the top reasons I wanted to get back into Neo Geo, it's a fantastic game. I used to have a Neo Geo years ago but just couldn't get it into it as I'm not that big into fighting games. But I LOVE arcade games in general, and once I got a broader sense of what the Neo Geo can be, I saw there was a ton there for Atari classic gamers to enjoy! I'll take a deeper dive into this in upcoming topics I'm sure. Neo Turf Masters was just awesome, and it played great on the original Neo Geo arcade stick with new Seimitsu LS-56 joystick, Sanwa micro switches for the stock buttons, and AES button PCB from Taitoc labs.

Hoping to get a few more rounds of golf in before we close this Squad Challenge out. More to come!

IMG_4989.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG