Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

- Ω -

2 hours ago, - Ω - said:

The official trailer looks good, but how can the Enterprise just hang there (20 second mark) without any forward motion?  I'd buy it in post TNG episodes, but not pre-TOS.

Didn't the Enterprise do that in a TOS episode?  Tomorrow is Yesterday?

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

3 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Didn't the Enterprise do that in a TOS episode?  Tomorrow is Yesterday?

From the excerpt below the radar technician did say it was holding there, but it was moving, albeit slowly. Later when Captain Christopher got closer he did say it was pulling away fast.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

My only peeve is the look of the Enterprise from SNW and the look from TOS. In many ways, the SNW Enterprise looks more advanced. I know it is because the SNW will get a refit to the TOS version that Kirk will captain. That is a good explanation for the look. But, it still looks more advanced. Granted this is the 2020s, and Star Trek: TOS was in the 1960s. Also, I like the look of the Enterprise. But, I still see a conflict. Maybe, I am barking up the wrong tree. I don't know. I would like to see the new SNW sometime, though.

I'm just happy the Enterprise doesn't have the "turkey drumstick" look of the Kelvin-timeline Enterprise. :)

My goal with this show is to watch no spoilers, no teasers and just go in blind and hopefully enjoy it.  We know from Discovery Season 2 that Anson Mount as Captain Pike is excellent.  I'm really excited to watch. 

I don't mind the update to the design, though I would have preferred the ship had straight nacelle struts instead of the slanted ones.  For today's TV, they design needed an update.  This, I think, would have been a better one but I'm not in charge.  It is the original design but with different lighting and details to modernize it.  I think this would have worked just fine.

1093672928_StarTrekStarships(334).png.e53958f17f4994f6e7d3522d82865d93.png

This is what Doug Drexler had originally designed...

494197172_StarTrekStarships(303).jpg.bd715e441c557b7c3a5472a70324e8f6.jpg

I think there is the assumption by many people that the original design would not work today.  The two pictures I posted prove that is not the case.  Proper lighting and some detailing would  make the original design quite appropriate for modern viewers.  Still, the updated design is cool as it is. 

Just now, TrekMD said:

I think there is the assumption by many people that the original design would not work today.  The two pictures I posted prove that is not the case.  Proper lighting and some detailing would  make the original design quite appropriate for modern viewers.  Still, the updated design is cool as it is. 

I'm totally with you on this.  I keep a TOS Enterprise model right above my monitor, and I never tire of looking at it.  The TOS Klingon Battlecruiser is pretty sweet too. 

Okay, after watching the S1 E1 episode of Strange New Worlds, I can say, I LIKE IT.  If future episodes are like this, it may turn out to be the most popular Star Trek series since The Next Generation.  I'm glad we are back to "self contained episodes".  It keeps the interest level up when they pack more into a single episode.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>