Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

- Ω -

If what I've been hearing on various videos that interview the folks in charge, we may see more of this even on both Picard and Discovery moving forward.  It has already been stated that the next seasons are very different from what we have seen already.  I can only hope that this is indeed the case. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

The only thing I dislike about this show is the time of day they release the new episodes.  It's usually around 23:30 to 00:00, so naturally I have to stay up... which means I don't really get much sleep (none actually) before I go to work.  I'm getting too old for this.  And no, I'm not a patient man when it comes to Star Trek.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

14 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Man, this show is Star Trek at its best.  Loved the second episode.

I agree.  The move back to the episodic formula is so refreshing.  And all of the character-building -- it really feels like they are creating something special. 

There was a lot to like in episode 2, but I think my favorite part was the Enterprise evasive maneuvers.  We never really got to see those kind of effects in TOS or TNG.  I feel like it was very believable. 

4 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

The only thing I dislike about this show is the time of day they release the new episodes.  It's usually around 23:30 to 00:00, so naturally I have to stay up... which means I don't really get much sleep (none actually) before I go to work.  I'm getting too old for this.  And no, I'm not a patient man when it comes to Star Trek.

I can understand the excitement.  I'm usually asleep by 10pm no matter if I try to stay up or not...I've been known to be found asleep in my La-Z-Boy with a remote in my hand....  So my wife and I watch either Thurs or Friday evening. 

S1, E4 - The streak continues - another great one!

Spoiler

My notes:

• There are too many plot contrivances here.  Sickbay had their supplies destroyed???  No access to the handheld medical devices?  Access to shuttlebay cut off so only Uhura and groucho can save the day?  Oh brother.
  • Major concern.  The writers are getting into the very bad habit of somehow incapacitating either Una or Pike during a crisis.  I guess they don't know how to make them both available and working together?
  • Enough negative.  Yes, we've seen these side plots 100 times before.  It's ok.  The strategy of dealing with an unknown enemy is super compelling.  Great stuff.
  • I can't stop saying this:  Anson Mount as Captain Pike is outstanding.  I want to jump through the screen and work for him!  And great hair too.
  • Uhura as a cadet is such a good idea.  A character from TOS that I want to know more about AND getting to experience her first taste of starfleet. 
  • The "Galileo" shuttle is perfect.  I like the nod to the original in the instruments and layout. 

S1, E5 "Spock Amok" continues the goodness, albeit in a very lighthearted way.

• Spoiler
      • The opening scene is so bloody good for any fan of TOS.  OMG, the sights, the sounds, and the MUSIC.  Perfect.  You had me at lirpa.  They could have made a "Shades of Grey" episode after this, and it still would get a good grade.  The minute that horn section kicked in....LOVED IT.  A+. 
      • The character building continues, and it's *good*.  We have a lot of well-written characters with the perfect actors attached. 
      • "Hi-jinx" do indeed commence.  And it's fine.

On 6/3/2022 at 8:40 AM, RickR said:

S1, E5 "Spock Amok" continues the goodness, albeit in a very lighthearted way.

•   Reveal hidden contents

💯 everything you said Rick! I had chills with the opening. Fantastic episode all around! Half a season in and they have yet to disappoint!