Star Trek: Picard - Discussion Thread (Spoilers!)

- Ω -

I'm leaning towards the same conclusion -- bored.  Nothing is being solved with any satisfaction.  Soong as a bad-guy is a snore and honestly makes no sense.  Elnor as a hologram shows how dumb it was to kill him off so quickly in the season. 

Just as a bit of evidence, my wife has been watching Star Trek with me since 1988, and this was one of the few times we had to pause at several junctures just to figure out between the two of us WTF was going on. 

Example:  We urgently need to stop the borg queen from taking over the ship.  But wait, let's pause for a while to explore your memories about your mother -- even though beyond finding the hidden tunnels, this has nothing to do with the urgency of the current situation.  In fact, they kept doing it AFTER they found the tunnel. 

Edited by RickR

Very unsatisfying.  I assume the final episode will feature Q and Rios' dilemma (yawn).  Soong and his daughter too I suppose.

The big problem I'm having here is how I have no desire to ever go back and re-watch any of this.  There's just no outstanding episode that stands out by itself.  In season 1, we had a few -- especially the one with Riker/Troi. 

To leave some positive feedback, I loved the connection to Gary Seven, including the smoky vault.  That was cool! 

Just for kicks, when this season is all finished, I'm going to piece it all together into one 7 1/2 hour mega movie with the intro on episode one and the credits on episode ten.  Truth be told, the season probably would have worked better paired down to 7 or 8 episodes.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

On 4/29/2022 at 2:42 PM, TrekMD said:

They are going to wrap it all in one episode, which is going to feel rushed.  They could have done this better if they had not had those filler episodes in the middle.

I agree!  "With just hours until the Europa Launch, Picard and the crew find themselves in a race against time to save the future."  Which of course success is predetermined to begin, with so an anti-climax will be the finish.  I cannot really say I'm a fan of these multi-episode long story arcs.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

I know this thread has spoilers, BUT I'm not going to give one this time.  All I will say is that there is something totally unexpected that happens in this episode that comes out of left field, and actually ties one unfinished thread off from TNG.  I liked this episode!  

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

20 hours ago, - Ω - said:

I know this thread has spoilers, BUT I'm not going to give one this time.  All I will say is that there is something totally unexpected that happens in this episode that comes out of left field, and actually ties one unfinished thread off from TNG.  I liked this episode!  

I've not seen it yet but a friend of mine said something similar.  I'm now even more curious! 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

Here is my review in visual form:

image.png

I am going to use the spoiler tag for my thoughts to prevent anyone that hasn't watched the show yet from seeing them in the "New Activity" list of the forums. 

Spoiler

• Why did Q mess with Renee and try to get her not to go on the mission?
  • Why did Q mess with Soong and get him to try stopping Renee?  And kill Picard?
  • Soong's motivation was spelled out by the Queen.  But once she was gone, he kept going...why?
  • Kore.  What qualifies her to be a traveler?  Holy under-developed character, Batman!  And when the traveler shows up telling us about the intricacy of the universe and his job in protecting it...WhereTF was he during this whole mess? 
  • Remember in "City on the Edge of Forever", when Spock explains it in a few simple sentences why was Edith Keeler was so important to the timeline?  Because her peace movement delays the USA entering WW2 and thereby allows Hitler to conquer the world.  I'm pretty sure they were trying this same tactic here, only we never get the explanation.  Why was Rene's mission so important to the timeline?  Because Ricardo cleans the ocean.  WHAT? 
  • This was all due to Q needing a hug?  Really???  What happened to the slap and penance?  I'm lost. 
  • Tallinn looks and sounds exactly like Laris...????

On the positive side:

• I really liked the character of Tallinn and the connection to Gary Seven.  The technology/gadgets and her motivation all fit into that.  Excellent!  I wish we got more of this character.
  • The 7 story (exploring her full humanity, then getting "re-assimilated") was such a good idea.  More of this was needed. 
  • Agnes transforming the Borg.  I'll buy it.

Overall, I'm giving this season a grade of C.  Not enough meat for a nitpicky nerd like me and very little satisfaction in all the plot threads they created.  I'm sorry for being so negative, but I've got to be honest. 

Edited by RickR